LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD HISTORY, Online Museum of Long Island Rail Road and Photo Gallery

INDEX PAGE





GOD   BLESS   AMERICA!


JULY   17   1939     -     DECEMBER   15   2016
WE   ARE   MUCH   SADDENED   TO   LEARN   OF   THE   DEATH   OF   RON   ZIEL.
RON   WAS   A   GOOD   FRIEND   OF   MANY   YEARS.
RON  RAN   THE  RACE  TO  THE  FINISH,
FOUGHT  THE  GOOD  FIGHT,   KEPT  THE  FAITH.
WE'LL   MISS   YOU   RON     -     REST   IN   PEACE.

AUTHOR   -   PHOTOGRAHER   -   WORLD   TRAVELER   -   GOOD   FRIEND




SON   ART   JR.   AND   GRANDDAUGHTER   HEATHER   AT   HER   OCTOBER   SEVENTH   WEDDING   TO   PETER   MAISANO

   




GRANDSON   ROBERT   JOHN   AND   HIS   BRIDE   CASSIE   RECENTLY   ADOPTED   "INDY"


Copyright © 2005   -   2017   ARTHUR   JOHN   HUNEKE
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED



YOUR     ONLINE     MUSEUM     OF
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD
and     GALLERY   OF   RAILROAD   PHOTOS



THIS WEBSITE IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF TWO MEN WHO WERE STUDENTS OF THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD AND WHO DID SO MUCH TO PRESERVE ITS HISTORY

WILLIAM   D.   (BILL)   SLADE

JANUARY 13, 1909             -             JULY 25, 1982
and
ROBERT   M.   (BOB)   EMERY

MARCH 23, 1925             -             AUGUST 1, 1995


Photograph   of     Bob   Emery   by   Bill   Slade





WHAT'S     NEW




NEW   NOVEMBER   10   2017

THE   BROOKLYN   CENTRAL   AND   JAMAICA   RAILROAD



REVISED   OCTOBER   21   2017   WITH   ADDITION   OF   1837   LOCOMOTIVE   "HICKSVILLE"   AND   1839   ENGINE   "TAGLIONI"

CHRONOLOGICAL     HISTORY



REVISED   SEPTEMBER   10   2017

THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   HEMPSTEAD   BRANCH




AUGUST   6   2017     -     MOST   EXCELLENT   1886   MAP   FROM   N. Y.   PUBLIC   LIBRARY  ADDED   TO  
CEDARHURST   BRANCH   -   ROCKAWAY   HUNT   CLUB   AND   STEEPLECHASE   ASSOCIATION   PAGE


RESTORED   JULY   31,   2017   AND   REVISED   AUGUST   6   2017.
GO   TO   LAKE   ROAD   STATION,   LAKE   STATION,   LAKELAND,  HERMANNVILLE   STATION,   LAKELAND   FARMS   AND   WOOD   LAWN   L. I.


REVISED   JULY   21   2017

THE   FLUSHING  &  WOODSIDE   RAIL   ROAD   AND   THEIR   GRINNELL   STATION



LONG   BEACH   PAGE   REVISED   JULY   1   and   JULY  2   2017
LONG   BEACH   PAGE


AT THIS TIME OF RACIAL STRIFE AND DISSENSION WE OFFER THIS:

WHEN I WENT TO WORK FOR THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD IN 1954 A BLACK MAN COULD ONLY BE HIRED AS A
LABORER,   A PORTER TO SERVE AND CLEAN UP AFTER WHITEY, A GATEMAN AT A GRADE CROSSING, OR A HOSTLER
TO MOVE LOCOMOTIVES AROUND YARDS AND REFILL THE COAL AND WATER.   HE COULD NOT GET HIRED AS
A FIREMAN BUT IN THE SOUTH HE COULD AND COULD SHOVEL COAL, KEEP THE STEAM UP AND FILL THE TENDER
FOR THE WHITE ENGINEER BUT NEVER BE PROMOTED TO THE RIGHT SIDE SEAT IN THE CAB.

E.G., SIM WEBB, CASEY JONES' FIREMAN.
FROM WIKIPEDIA:   "Jones' African-American fireman, Simeon T. Webb (born May 12, 1874), died in Memphis on July 13, 1957
(http://condrenrails.com/MRP/Other-Passenger-Stations/Poplar_Avenue_Station.htm states he died on the 15th) at the age of 83."

THIS ARTICLE IS FROM THE BABYLON "SIGNAL" OF JULY 1, 1882.





IS   THIS   ANY   WAY   TO   RUN   A   RAILROAD?
AN   1882   NEWSPAPER   STATED   THAT   IT   WAS.


 

 



CHRONOLOGICAL     HISTORY

THE   BROOKLYN   AND   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY
CHARTERED   APRIL   25,   1832

THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY
CHARTERED   APRIL   24,   1834

THE   BROOKLYN   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD
THE     LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD
                    and             ATLANTIC     AVENUE                    

THE   BROOKLYN   AND   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   WAS   CHARTERED     TO   RUN   FROM   THE









ATLANTIC STREET ENDED JUST EAST OF FLATBUSH AVENUE.
THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA RIGHT OF WAY FROM HERE TO CLASSON AVENUE WAS
80 FEET WIDE.   (THE SOUTHERLY 80 FEET OF ATLANTIC AVENUE WHEN EXTENDED EAST)



THE   LONG   ISLAND  RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY


 



THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD CHARTER CALLED FOR THE ROAD TO BE BUILT


AS STEAM WAS NOT ALLOWED IN THE CITY OF BROOKLYN,   FROM 1836 UNTIL
1839 TRAINS WERE PULLED BY HORSES BETWEEN BROOKLYN AND BEDFORD.





BEDFORD

A MAP ACCOMPANYING A NOTICE OF A JANUARY 1835 AUCTION OF PROPERTY
SHOWED BEDFORD AVENUE AND "THE PROPOSED ROUTE OF THE BRANCH RAILROAD
TO  THE  CONTEMPLATED   FERRY   AT  THE  WALLABOUT"  IN  WILLIAMSBURGH.






WE READ THAT THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA ESTABLISHED A STATION AT CLASSON AVENUE WITH A
RAILROAD YARD AND WOOD PILE.   THIS MAP SHOWS THE PROPERTY OF THE B. AND J. ON BOTH SIDES
OF THEIR RIGHT OF WAY.   THIS WAS THE TERMINUS FOR STEAM 1836 - 1839.   BY 1851
ATLANTIC STREET (AVENUE),   70 FEET WIDE,   HAD BEEN EXTENDED AS FAR AS CLASSON
AVENUE - IT THEN CURVED AND RAN INTO FULTON AVENUE.   (30 FEET OF THEIR RIGHT
OF WAY HAD BEEN CEDED BY THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA.)   SINCE THE 1860'S ATLANTIC
STREET (AVENUE),   HAS RUN PARALLEL WITH  PACIFIC STREET  FROM HERE TO EAST NEW YORK.


THIS MAP SHOWS THE PRIVATE RIGHT OF WAY OF THE BROOKLYN
AND JAMAICA BETWEEN SCHUYLER STREET AND HERKIMER STREET.
SCHUYLER  STREET WAS WIDENED TO BECOME  ATLANTIC  AVENUE.
ONE BLOCK OF THE RIGHT OF WAY BETWEEN BEDFORD AVENUE
AND NOSTRAND AVENUE REMAINS TODAY AS HERKIMER PLACE.



AFTER THE RAILROAD WAS EXPELLED AND
ATLANTIC AVENUE WAS EXTENDED TO THE CITY LINE.




1836 IN FEBRUARY 1836 ONE OR MORE TRIAL RUNS WERE MADE BY THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD.

ON FEBRUARY 3 THE LONG ISLAND FARMER REPORTED:


THE ARIEL, BUILT IN 1835, WAS MATTHIAS W. BALDWIN'S NINETEENTH ENGINE.     POST BOY WAS BUILT IN 1836.

GO TO > ----- > ARIEL



SERVICE TO JAMAICA BEGAN APRIL 18, 1836.

GO   TO   ---->   THE   FIRST   TRAIN

THIS IS THE FALL 1836 SCHEDULE



ONE   OF   THE   FIRST   L. I. R. R.   STATIONS   WAS   UNION   COURSE
(RACE   TRACK   WHICH   HAD   OPENED   IN   1821)

go   to   ----->   UNION   COURSE


SIDNEY SCHAER'S ARTICLE IN NEWSDAY
DISCLOSED AN ACCIDENT WHICH DISRUPTED SERVICE ON MAY 3, 1836.
                                     
                                   


DECEMBER 1 1836 THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA WAS LEASED TO THE LONG ISLAND



THE RAILROADS' THIRD ENGINE WAS THE "HICKSVILLE",   BUILT IN 1836 BY THE LOCKS & CANALS COMPANY
OF LOWELL, MASS.   ITS DESIGN WAS THAT OF STEPHENSON'S PLANET TYPE LOCOMOTIVE,   A   2-2-0.
THIS ENGINE WAS THE FIRST WITH "WHISTLER'S TRUMPET",   LATER   KNICKNAMED
"WHISTLE",   AFTER THE BUILDER'S SUPERINTENDENT GEORGE W. WHISTLER.




FROM JOHN H. WHITE'S HISTORY OF AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVE BUILDERS.


THE   RAILROADS'   THIRD   ENGINE   THE   "HICKSVILLE"


FROM   SITE   "American-Rails.com"


AN   OPERABLE   REPLICA   IN   GREAT   BRITAIN



ON  MARCH  1,  1837  SERVICE  BEGAN  TO  HICKSVILLE







THE   RAILROAD   WAS   IN   A   CUT   -   FOUR   OVERHEAD   HIGHWAY   BRIDGES   WERE   INSTALLED


WILLOW   TREE   STATION   WAS   PROVIDED   FOR


END   OF   THE     LINE


ON   THIS   FEBRUARY   24   1837   ANNOUNCEMENT   WESTBURY   HEMPSTEAD
STATION   IS   SHOWN.     BY   JUNE   IT   IS   CALLED   CARLE   PLACE.

GO   TO   ---->   CARLE   PLACE

FLUSHING   AVENUE   STATION   IS   SHOWN   FOUR   MILES   EAST   OF   JAMAICA

FROM AN 1837 NEWSPAPER "BROOKLYN ADVOCATE"




BY   OPENING   DAY,   MARCH   1   1837,   DE  LANCY   AVENUE
IS   SHOWN   AND   FLUSHING   AVENUE   IS   NOT.





WE   BELIEVE   THE   STATION   WAS   NEVER   NAMED   FLUSHING   AVENUE.


THE   AVENUE   AND   STATION   MAY   HAVE   BEEN   NAMED   FOR:   "Right   Reverend
William   Heathcote   DeLancey   (October   8,   1797   –   April   5,   1865)
the   son   of   John   Peter   DeLancey,   a   Revolutionary   War   soldier,   was
  a   bishop   of   the   Episcopal   Church   in   the   United   States   of   America."

THANKS   AGAIN   TO   WIKIPEDIA   ( WIKIPEDIA )   FOR   THIS   INFORMATION.


WE   HAD   NEVER   HEARD   OF   DELANCY   AVENUE   (OR   FLUSHING   AVENUE   AT
THIS   LOCATION),   NEVER   SEEN   IT   ON   A   MAP.     NOW   WE   HAVE   THIS   PART
OF   AN   1839   MAP   FROM   THE   NEW   YORK   PUBLIC   LIBRARY'S   WEBSITE.
NEW   YORK   PUBLIC   LIBRARY'S   WEBSITE

THE   PROPERTY   IDENTIFIED   AS   "DELANCY"   WAS   SOUTH   OF   NEWTOWN
AND   EAST   OF   MASPETH.   (WE   SHOW   THIS   BUT   IT   REALLY   DOESN'T   PROVE   ANYTHING.)

THE   1830   UNITED   STATES   FEDERAL   CENSUS   SHOWED:
"Name:   William   Delaney   [Warren   Delancy]
Home   in   1830:   Newtown,   Queens,   New   York"



THANKS AGAIN TO WIKIPEDIA WE OFFER ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE DELANCEY FAMILY:

Stephen Delancey (Etienne de Lancy in French) (October 24, 1663, Caen – November 18, 1741).
The De Lancy family were minor French nobility ("Noblesse de France Royale") and, despite being
of the Huguenot faith, Delancey was to become one of the most successful merchants in the
colony of New York with his well-known granary, warehouse and retail store, known to all as "Delancey and Co."
He played an active role in the life of the city and married Anne van Cortlandt.
Three surviving sons (James (1703–1760), Peter (1705–1770), and Oliver (1708-1785).
Delancey Street (NEW YORK) is named after James DeLancey, Sr., whose farm was located in what
is now the Lower East Side. James De Lancey was lieutenant governor of the Colony of New York,
served as chief justice of New York and presided over the 1735 trial of journalist John Peter Zenger.
His son, Captain James DeLancey (1732–1800), took over the family drygoods business and went into New York politics.
Oliver De Lancey became a senior Loyalist officer in the American War of Independence.
Right Reverend William Heathcote DeLancey (October 8, 1797 – April 5, 1865) the son of John Peter DeLancey,
a Revolutionary War soldier, was a bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America.
His eldest son, Edward Floyd DeLancey, was president of the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society and an author.
Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography Edition of 1900. Written by Edward F. De Lancey.



THE   1873   BEER'S   ATLAS   SHOWS   AN   EPISCOPAL   CHURCH   AND
FIRST   AVENUE   WHICH   MIGHT   HAVE   BEEN   DE  LANCY   AVENUE


THIS   CIRCA   1895   MAP   SHOWS   A   STREET   RUNNING   NORTH   OFF   JERICHO   TURNPIKE   TO   FLUSHING



ALSO   SHOWN   IS   CLOWESVILLE

GO   TO   ---->   CLOWESVILLE

FROM   TWO   1837   NEW   YORK   TIMES



APRIL   10,   1837                                            JUNE   20,   1837
 


SCHEDULES   FROM   THE   LONG   ISLAND   STAR :

JULY   31,   AND   SEPTEMBER   8,   1837   TIME   TABLES   SHOW   DE LANCEY   AND   PENNSYL-
VANIA   AVENUES     -     AND   "CONNECTICUT   AVENUE"     INSTEAD     OF     UNION     COURSE.

1953   RESEARCH   BY   EDNA   HUNTINGTON,   LONG   ISLAND   HISTORICAL   SOCIETY
LIBRARIAN,   SHOWED   THAT   CONNECTICUT   AVENUE   BECAME   WOODHAVEN   BLVD.

ACTUALLY   IT   BECAME   FLUSHING   AVENUE,   TROTTING   COURSE   LANE,
WOODHAVEN   AVENUE   AND   THEN   WOODHAVEN   BOULEVARD.


CONNECTICUT   AVENUE   STATION   WAS   PROBABLY   THE   LATER
TROTTING   COURSE   LANE   AND   THEN   WOODHAVEN   STATION





NOVEMBER   27,   1837   SHOWS   BRUSHVILLE   INSTEAD   OF   FLUSHING   AVE.   -   DE LANCY   AVE.

GO   TO   BRUSHVILLE


THIS JUNE 1838 ARTICLE IMPLIES THAT STEAM MAY HAVE PULLED TRAINS BETWEEN HENRY STREET AND BEDFORD PRECEDED BY HORSE DRAWN CARS.   OR THE TRAINS WERE PRECEDED BY HORSE DRAWN CARS FOR SOME DISTANCE EAST OF BEDFORD.   A REGULAR HORSE CAR SERVICE WAS ESTABLISHED BETWEEN SOUTH FERRY AND BEDFORD.   THE LOCOMOTIVES WERE DISGUISED TO RESEMBLE HORSE CARS   -   DUMMY ENGINES.
THIS IS THE FIRST ARRT HAS EVER READ OF THIS ENTIRE OPERATION.




THE SAME JUNE 1838 NEWSPAPER SHOWS A CHANGE OF SCHEDULE




IN JULY 1839 THE NEW LOCOMOTIVE "TAGLIONI" WAS PLACED IN SERVICE AND THE TRACK TO HEMPSTEAD
WAS OPENED FROM HEMPSTEAD BRANCH   -   LATER MINEOLA   -   TO A TERMINAL ON MAIN STREET.
LIKE   THE   "HICKSVILLE",   "TAGLIONI'S"   DESIGN   WAS   THAT
OF   STEPHENSON'S   PLANET   TYPE   LOCOMOTIVE,   A   2-2-0.




GO   TO   ---->   THE   HEMPSTEAD   BRANCH

FROM NOVEMBER 1839 UNTIL JULY 1844 STEAM
PULLED TRAINS BETWEEN HENRY STREET AND JAMAICA.




IN 1884 THE BABYLON SIGNAL INTERVIEWED JOHN ARESON WHO REMEMBERED THIS



 

ON   OCTOBER   14,   1841   THE   RAILROAD   OPENED   TO   FARMINGDALE


ON DECEMBER 9, 1841 THE RAILROAD OPENED TO
"BABYLON" STATION   WHICH WAS AT EAST NECK ROAD.

FROM   BROOKLYN   EAGLE   DECEMBER   27,   1841


 


ON   FEBRUARY   28   1842   THE   ROAD   WAS   EXTENDED   TO   DEER   PARK


THE   MARCH   12   1842   "STAR"   REPORTED:


MAY   11,   1842   SCHEDULE   FROM   BROOKLYN   EAGLE


THE   JULY   14   1842   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   REPORTED:


AUGUST   10,   1842   SERVICE   BEGAN   TO   SUFFOLK   STATION




FROM   OCTOBER   15,  1842   NEW - YORK   SPECTATOR




COMPARE   THIS   WITH   RUNNING   TIME   SIX   YEARS   LATER

go   to   - - - - - - >   PART   THREE  -  MAY   1,   1848   TIMETABLE


APRIL   18,   1844   SCHEDULE   FROM   BROOKLYN   EAGLE


ON  JUNE  26,  1844  SERVICE  BEGAN  TO  MEDFORD  (STAGE  TO  PATCHOGUE),  FIRE  PLACE  AND  CARMAN'S  RIVER.


CARMAN'S RIVER STATION WAS AT OR NEAR THE LATER MILLEVILLE
(OR MILLVILLE) STATION WHICH BECAME YAPHANK IN 1846.


MANY MAIN LINE STATIONS PROVIDED STAGE CONNECTIONS WITH VILLAGES ON THE NORTH AND
SOUTH SHORES - MEDFORD FOR PATCHOGUE AND BELLPORT FOR THAT SOUTH SHORE VILLAGE.
FIRE PLACE,   NOW BROOKHAVEN,   WAS SERVED BY A MAIN LINE STATION BY THAT NAME.
IT MAY HAVE BECOME BELLPORT STATION OR IT MAY HAVE BEEN SOME DISTANCE EAST THEREOF.





LAKE THE   JUNE   26,   1844   SCHEDULE   DOES   NOT   MENTION   LAKE   ROAD   STATION   OR   LAKE   RONKONKOMA

THIS   1844   MAP   DOES   NOT   SHOW   LAKE   ROAD   STATION


1845   AND   1848   TIMETABLES   SHOW   LAKE   ROAD   STATION

JUNE   14   1845   TIMETABLE   FROM   THE   "BROOKLYN   EAGLE"


MAY   1   1848   TIMETABLE   FROM   THE   "LONG   ISLAND   FARMER"


THIS   1847   MAP   SHOWS   RONKONKOMA   POND   AND LAKE STATION


THIS   MAP   DATED   1850   SHOWS   LAKELAND  STATION   AND   A   ROAD   CURVING
FROM   LAKE   RONKONKOMA   TOWARD   OAKDALE   LIKE   THE   PRESENT   "POND   ROAD".
THIS   WAS   "LAKE   ROAD"   AND   THE   LAKE   ROAD   STATION   WAS   AT   ITS   CROSSING   OF   THE   RAILROAD.

BILL   SLADE'S   RESEARCH   SHOWS   LAKE   ROAD   STATION   1250   FEET   EAST   OF
LAKELAND   STATION   (OCEAN   AVENUE)   AND   90   FEET   EAST   OF   POND   ROAD.



THIS   1958   MAP   SHOWS   "LAKE   PROMONADE"   JUST   EAST   OF   POND   ROAD   AND   ITS
RIGHT   OF   WAY   CROSSING   THE   RAILROAD.     THIS   HAD   BEEN   OR   WAS   VERY   CLOSE   TO   LAKE   ROAD.

NOTE   CHESTNUT   AVENUE   WHICH   WAS   A   GRADE   CROSSING   UNTIL   1912.


CHESTNUT   AVENUE   WAS   ALSO   KNOWN   AS   DELAMATER   ROAD






POND   ROAD   CROSSING   IN   1906   LOOKING   NORTH.
THANKS   TO   MIKE   TARQ   FOR   CORRECTING   MY   MISTAKE.


POND   ROAD   CROSSING   IN   1936   LOOKING   WEST
LAKE   ROAD   STATION   WAS   90   FEET   EAST   OF   THIS   CROSSING


POND   ROAD   CROSSING   IN   1936   LOOKING   EAST


POND   ROAD   CROSSING   IN   1936   LOOKING   EAST
LAKE   ROAD   STATION   WAS   90   FEET   EAST   OF   THIS   CROSSING


POND   ROAD   CROSSING   IN   1973   AND   1978   LOOKING   NORTH




"LAKE   STATION"   APPEARS   ON   THESE   MAPS   FROM   1847,   1850     AND   1857.








LAKELAND       WAS     THE     1848   -   1849

SKETCHES   OF   SUFFOLK   COUNTY   BY   RICHARD   M.   BAYLES,   1873


THIS   1850   MAP   IDENTIFIES   "LAKELAND"   VILLAGE   AND   "LAKE"   STATION   AND   "LAKE"   POST   OFFICE


1870     MAP


CIRCA     1880


THIS   IS   A   1945   MAP.







BRAINERD     PHOTO     1878





IN HIS 1873 BOOK "HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE SKETCHES OF SUFFOLK COUNTY",   RICHARD M. BAYLES
STATES THAT LAKELAND THEN HAD TWENTY-FIVE HOUSES.   THIS IS LAKELAND IN THE 1873 BEER'S ATLAS.

OCEAN   AVENUE   CROSSING   IN   1986





MARCH   25   1882   THIS   WAS   PUBLISHED


AUGUST   4   1883


OCTOBER   20   1883




AND   THERE   WERE:
HERMANNVILLE   STATION,   LAKELAND   FARMS   AND   WOOD   LAWN   L. I.


FROM NOVEMBER 1839 UNTIL JULY 1844 STEAM
PULLED TRAINS BETWEEN HENRY STREET AND JAMAICA.




  THE   TUNNEL,   SOUTH FERRY TERMINAL,
1850 FERRY RATES,   1840'S SCENE ALONG THE B&J



SERVICE   BEGINS   TO   GREENPORT
AND   TO   BOSTON
THE ANNUAL REPORT FOR 1844 INFORMS US THAT: "....the entire line is opened, and has been in successful operation through its whole extent since the 29th day of July last."
"Upon the completion of the line immediate steps were taken to establish ferries,   to form a connection with the Norwich and Stonington lines,   and on the 9th of August last through trains were established to connect Boston and New York.   Regular trains were established between Greenport and Brooklyn,   and in November last arrangements were made with the Post Office Department and the stages running along the shores of the island,   to form cross lines,   intersecting the railroad at various points."
"The income of this road has been earned under many disadvantages.   The incomplete state of the tunnel at Brooklyn,   and non-arrival of the freight cars ordered for the line.....have all tended to keep down the revenue;   and the income.....has far exceeded the anticipations of the Directors."

FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE

THURSDAY JULY 25, 1844:   "We are gratified in being able to state that the road is finished through to Greenport, and that a trip over the whole route, by the President and Directors of the Company and their guests, will be made on Saturday next (July 27). We shall endeavor to make one of the party, and reserve our comments, therefore, for the present. The road will be open for travel on Monday (July 29)."

ON MONDAY JULY 29 THE EAGLE HAD A MULTI-COLUMN ARTICLE DESCRIBING THE
"GRAND EXCURSION AND DINNER - THREE HOURS AND A HALF TO GREENPORT."

A TIMETABLE DATED JULY 26 AND APPEARING ON PAGE ONE STATES:
"COMPLETION AND OPENING OF THE ROAD TO GREENPORT.   96 MILES.
On and after Monday next, the 29th July, accomodation trains
for the local business of the island, will run as follows.....
Leave BROOKLYN at 3 P.M. every day (Sundays excepted) for GREENPORT.....
Returning, leave GREENPORT DEPOT for BROOKLYN at 5 A.M. .....
Light freight and packages taken by the passage train.
The above arrangement affords an opportunity for the residents of Sag Harbor and Greenport,
and all other parts of the Island, to remain in New York five hours, and return home the same evening."
"Due notice will be given of the connection of the road with the Eastern lines to Boston."


ON JULY 29 THE SAME TIMETABLE IS MODIFIED:
"The 3 o'clock train from Brooklyn and the morning train from Greenport will discontinue the following stops, viz:
East New York, Union Course, Brushville, Carll Place, and Westbury.
These stops will be made by the way train to and from Hicksville."


A TIMETABLE DATED AUGUST 8 AND APPEARING
ON PAGE THREE OF THE EAGLE FOR AUGUST 9 STATES:

"LONG ISLAND RAILROAD IN CONNECTION WITH BOSTON - THROUGH BY DAYLIGHT.
A train will leave the depot at Brooklyn on Friday, 9th of August, at 8 o'clock A.M. for Greenport,whence
passengers will be taken to Stonington in the Sound steamer NARRAGANSETT, and proceed immediately to Boston.
On the following day the steamer NEW HAVEN will carry passengers from Greenport to the
Norwich and Worcester Railroad, and alternate in this manner until further notice. .....
"Baggage crates will go through to Boston unopened. Fare through, $4.50. Meals extra.
Rooms with seats for four persons, can be secured the evening
previous at an extra charge, as far as Greenport."


THE BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE OF AUGUST 13 HAD THIS ARTICLE:
"The First Trip. - The new route to Boston was tried on Friday, and the whole
distance accomplished in 10 hours and 9 minutes.   The following was the time through:
Left Brooklyn South Ferry at..........8     A.M.
Reached Greenport, 94 3/4 miles..11.26   "
Left Greenport, per steamer.........11.44   "
Arrived at Stonington.......................2.07 P.M.
Left Stonington.................................2.16   "
Arrived at Providence......................4.04   "
Crossed Ferry - left Providence......4.23   "
Arrived at Taunton Branch..............5.01   "
Left Taunton Branch*......................5.17   "
Arrived at Boston.............................6.09   "
* The train waited at this station 16 minutes for the half past 4 o'clock train from Boston to New York.
Time through. 10 hours and 9 minutes, of which 2 hours and 23 minutes were consumed in passing from
Greenport to Stonington - an unusually dull pace, if the distance is only 28 miles."




SCHEDULE   EFFECTIVE   NOVEMBER   1,   1844


"REGULAR   MAIL   LINE"   WINTER   ARRANGEMENT   EFFECTIVE   NOVEMBER   4,   1844



----->   ANNUAL   REPORT   FOR   YEAR   ENDING   DECEMBER   31,   1844

FARES   WERE   REDUCED   IN   JUNE   1845
FROM   JUNE   20,   1845   BROOKLYN   EAGLE



 
3.   THEIR   BEGINNINGS   1832   -   1877   Continued

MAY 1, 1848 BROOKLYN TO GREENPORT SCHEDULE - FIVE HOURS!
JUNE 21, 1851 NEW-YORK DAILY TRIBUNE ARTICLE


3a.   1852 - 1853 TIMETABLE - NEW BROOKLYN STATION
WAMPMISSICK STATION - NICHOLS ROAD - WATER STATION

THREE ARTISTS' RENDITIONS ALL SHOW THE TRAINS RUNNING
ON THE LEFT SIDE WHICH WAS/IS THE PRACTICE IN ENGLAND.
VERY POSSIBLY THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD ADOPTED THIS PRACTICE IN 1836.


AN 1852 TICKET TO HEMPSTEAD BRANCH (MINEOLA)




3b   IN   1853   THERE   WAS   A   STATION   AT   CANAL   STREET   JAMAICA


1855 NINETY DAY COMMUTATION TICKET
BROOKLYN TO THOMPSON STATION


IF THE BACK OF THIS 1855 TICKET WAS UP TO DATE
HEMPSTEAD SERVICE WAS STILL PROVIDED BY HORSECAR.





Visitor William H. Frohlich, LIMP Historical Panel and former Babylon
Town Historian, shares with us an engineer's drawing of an 1856 locomotive


THANKS   BILL!


IN 1857 THE COMMON COUNCIL OF BROOKLYN PASSED A
RESOLUTION OUTLAWING STEAM ON ATLANTIC STREET

THE   BROOKLYN   EAGLE   WROTE   1857   JUNE   27                   HEAD  OF  THE  FLY  IS  SHOWN  ON  THIS  1847  MAP      
                 

go to

A   SEPTEMBER   30   1858   PROPOSAL   FOR   THE   CON-
TEMPLATED   NEW   YORK   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD

THE NEW YORK & JAMAICA RAIL ROAD COMPANY WAS CHARTERED
SEPTEMBER 3, 1859 TO BUILD FROM JAMAICA TO HUNTERS POINT
AND OPENED MAY 10, 1861 - THERE WAS A "NEWTOWN" STATION.

BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA PROPERTY EXTENDED AS FAR EAST AS
ROCKAWAY TURNPIKE.   THE LONG ISLAND STATION WAS EAST THEREOF.




JAMAICA   STATION   IN   1859




BROOKLYN'S     DREAM

THE RAILROAD WAS EXPELLED AND THE TUNNEL CLOSED TO ATTAIN THIS


THE NEW YORK & JAMAICA RAIL ROAD COMPANY WAS CHARTERED SEPTEMBER 3,
1859 TO BUILD FROM JAMAICA TO HUNTERS POINT AND OPENED MAY 10, 1861


IN 1861 THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD WAS PAID BY THE CITY OF BROOKLYN
TO CLOSE ITS TUNNEL AND ABANDON SERVICE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS.


HUNTERS   POINT   BECAME   THE   NEW   TERMINAL.

go   to   ----- >   THE   NEW   YORK   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY

Kevin Kinsella writes:
"Thought I'd send this in case of interest.
It's from the front page of "The Evening Post" of New York, dated 15 May 1861.
Great website you have."



THANKS   KEVIN!


THE MAY 11, 1861 AMERICAN RAILROAD JOURNAL REPORTED:
"ON THE SIXTH INST THE FREIGHT TRAINS COMMENCED RUNNING BETWEEN GREENPORT AND THE DEPOT AT HUNTERS POINT.   SINCE THAT DATE NO FREIGHT TRAIN HAS BEEN STARTED FROM THE SOUTH FERRY DEPOT,   AND NO FREIGHT HAS BEEN RECEIVED AT THAT POINT SINCE THE 4TH.   AN OFFICE HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED AT THE JAMES SLIP FERRY,   NEW YORK SIDE,   BOTH FOR THE RECEIPT AND DELIVERY OF FREIGHT.   PASSENGER TRAINS ALSO COMMENCED RUNNING TO AND FROM HUNTERS POINT ON THE 10TH.   HEREAFTER PASSENGERS FOR THE TRAINS WILL TAKE THE FERRY BOAT AT JAMES SLIP, OR AT 34TH STREET FOR HUNTERS POINT."


EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE   NUMBER   32   OF   JUNE   6,   1861   DOES   NOT   SHOW   NEW   YORK   AND   FLUSHING   JUNCTION   OR   A   STATION   AT   WINFIELD   BUT   DOES   SHOW   NEWTOWN   STATION   ONE   AND   ONE   HALF   MILES   EAST   OF   WOODSIDE




THE SUNDAY MILK TRAIN CONTINUED TO RUN
THIS TABLE ALSO SHOWS NEWTOWN


THIS LIST OF TICKETS SOLD AND 1862 PUBLIC
TIME TABLE SHOW A STATION AT NEWTOWN




GO   TO   HUNTERS   POINT   -   LONG   ISLAND   CITY



THE   BROOKLYN   CENTRAL   AND   JAMAICA   RAILROAD




Go to ---->1874   TIMETABLE


IN 1881 A COMPANY WAS FORMED TO UTILIZE THE
SEALED OFF TUNNEL UNDER ATLANTIC AVENUE

THE  SOUTH  FERRY  &   SEA  SIDE  DIRECT  TRANSIT  COMPANY
go   to -----^



THE   FLUSHING   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY   WAS   CHARTERED
MARCH   3,   1852   AND   OPENED   JUNE   26,   1854

GO   TO   ----->   FLUSHING   RAIL   ROAD   -   PENNY   BRIDGE   STATION
REORGANIZED   AS   THE   NEW   YORK  &  FLUSHING   RAILROAD   MARCH   22,   1859


THE   NORTH   SHORE   RAILROAD   COMPANY   WAS   INCORPORATED
SEPTEMBER  25,  1863  TO  BUILD  FROM  A  CONNECTION  WITH  THE  NEW  YORK
&  FLUSHING  RAILROAD  AT  FLUSHING  TO  A  POINT  ON  HEMPSTEAD  HARBOR.
IT   OPENED   OCTOBER   27,   1866   TO   BROOKDALE,   NOW   GREAT   NECK
AND   WAS   OPERATED   BY   THE   N.   Y.   &   F.   R.   R.

Go   to   THE   NORTH   SHORE   RAILROAD   COMPANY


THE FLUSHING & WOODSIDE RAILROAD COMPANY WAS INCORPORATED FEBRUARY 24, 1864 TO BUILD
FROM A CONNECTION WITH THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD AT WOODSIDE TO FLUSHING,
WITH A BRANCH TO WHITESTONE.   IT BECAME PART OF THE FLUSHING & NORTH SIDE RAIL ROAD.

GO   TO   ----->   THE   FLUSHING   &   WOODSIDE   RAIL   ROAD   and   GRINNELL   STATION


THE   FLUSHING &   NORTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   WAS   INCORPORATED   APRIL   3,   1868.
go   to   THE   FLUSHING   &   NORTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD






BAYSIDE     STATION





THE NEWTOWN & FLUSHING RAIL ROAD WAS INCORPORATED MARCH 8, 1871.
go to   THE   WHITE   LINE
"THE   NEW   FLUSHING   RAILROAD"









HICKSVILLE   &   COLD   SPRING   BRANCH   RAILROAD
CHARTERED   NOVEMBER   7,   1853
OPENED   JULY   3,   1854   HICKSVILLE   TO   SYOSSET

MAY 27, 1854 THE "AMERICAN RAILROAD JOURNAL" REPORTED THAT THE
H. & C.S.B.R.R. WAS TO BUILD TO "KETCHAM'S"   -   "NOW KNOWN AS SYOSSIT "


THE HICKSVILLE & COLD SPRING BRANCH RAILROAD WAS EXTENDED
TO HUNTINGTON JANUARY 13, 1868 AND TO NORTHPORT APRIL 25, 1868.

go to   THE   OLD   NORTHPORT   BRANCH



THE GLEN COVE BRANCH RAILROAD WAS INCORPORATED DECEMBER 3,   1858
AND OPENED TO GLEN HEAD JANUARY 23,   1865,   TO GLEN COVE MAY 16,   1867
AND TO LOCUST VALLEY APRIL 19,   1869.

THE HISTORIC OLDE BRICK STATION AT EAST WILLISTON.




MARCH  23,  1860     SOUTH   SIDE   RAILROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND
Go   to   -   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD

THE   1869   -   1870   STATIONS   BUSHWICK   TO   PATCHOGUE
BUSHWICK   STATION   and   FREIGHT   HOUSE         NEW   YORK   &   FLUSHING   RAILROAD
FRESH   POND     GLENDALE     RICHMOND   HILL - CLARENCEVILLE     VAN   WYCK   AVENUE
JAMAICA       LOCUST  AVENUE       SPRINGFIELD
      ROCKAWAY  BRANCH  -  VALLEY  STREAM
VALLEY     STREAM       PEARSALLS   CORNER       ROCKVILLE   CENTRE       BALDWINSVILLE       FREEPORT
MERRICK           BELLMORE           RIDGEWOOD           SOUTH   OYSTER   BAY           AMITYVILLE
WELLWOOD   -   BRESLAU   -   LINDENHUST   part 1     WELLWOOD   -   BRESLAU   -   LINDENHUST   part 2
BABYLON       BABYLON RAILROAD & FIRE ISLAND   BAY   SHORE       ISLIP
CLUB   HOUSE       OAKDALE       SAYVILLE       BAYPORT       BLUEPOINT       PATCHOGUE


A   FREIGHT   STATION   WAS   ESTABLISHED   AT   YOUNGSPORT
Go   To   YOUNGSPORT   -   GREAT   RIVER


HEBBARD'S   STATION   EAST   WILLIAMSBURG               FOSTER'S   MEADOW   -   ROSEDALE
1871   -   SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION


LATER   DEVELOPMENTS

INSTEAD   OF   VAN   WYCK   AVENUE   STATION   TIME   TABLES   FROM
1871   AND   1875   AND   BEER'S   1873   ATLAS   AND   COLTON'S   1873
MAP   SHOW   BERLIN   STATION   AT   THE   CROSSING   OF   THE   SOUTH   SIDE
RAIL   ROAD   AND   THE   BROOKLYN   CENTRAL   AND   JAMAICA   RAILROAD

Go   TO   ----- > BERLIN   -   LATER   DUNTON

1880   UNQUA   STATION

1884   CEDARHURST   RAILWAY   COMPANY   -   CEDARHURST   BRANCH

IN   MAY,   1889   SOUTH   OYSTER   BAY   STATION   BECAME   MASSAPEQUA.

1897   ST.   ALBANS   STATION

1899   SEAFORD   STATION

1901   COPIAGUE   STATION

1906 - 1908   CLEAR   STREAM   ROAD


THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   OF   LONG   ISLAND
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD


THE   FIRST   STEAM   RAILROAD   TO   CONEY   ISLAND
THE   BROOKLYN,   BATH   &   CONEY   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD
INCORPORATED   FEBRUARY   19,   1862
Go   to   BROOKLYN   BATH,   &   CONEY   ISLAND


THE   BROOKLYN   &   ROCKAWAY   BEACH   RAILROAD   COMPANY
THE   CANARSIE   LINE

WAS INCORPORATED DECEMBER 24, 1863 AND
COMMENCED OPERATION IN THE AUTUMN OF 1866



THE FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH RAILROAD COMPANY OF QUEENS COUNTY
NEW YORK WAS INCORPORATED APRIL 15, 1868 AND OPENED IN JULY, 1869.
IT MERGED WITH THE SOUTH SIDE R. R. MAY 31, 1872.
THE STATIONS APPEAR ON THIS PAGE

THE HEMPSTEAD & ROCKAWAY RAIL ROAD COMPANY
INCORPORATED APRIL 1868.
THE NEW YORK & HEMPSTEAD PLAINS RAIL ROAD COMPANY
INCORPORATED MARCH 1, 1870.
THE NEW YORK & HEMPSTEAD RAILROAD COMPANY.
INCORPORATED AUGUST 10, 1871
THE SOUTHERN HEMPSTEAD BRANCH RAILROAD COMPANY
ORGANIZED JULY 1, 1875.
Go to   HEMPSTEAD and ROCKAWAY RAILROAD



THE SAG HARBOR BRANCH WAS BUILT IN 1869 AND 1870 UNDER THE APRIL 24,
1834 CHARTER OF THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD AND OPENED IN MAY 1870.


THE HUNTERS POINT & SOUTH SIDE RAILROAD COMPANY
WAS INCORPORATED JANUARY 5, 1870 AND WAS TAKEN OVER
BY THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD SEPTEMBER 14, 1872




THE SMITHTOWN & PORT JEFFERSON RAIL ROAD COMPANY WAS INCORPORATED JUNE 9, 1870 AND OPENED IN THE SUMMER OF 1873.

ON JULY 11, 1892 THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD COMPANY NORTH SHORE BRANCH WAS INCORPORATED.
THE NEW COMPANY ABSORBED THE SMITHTOWN & PORT JEFFERSON R. R. ON SEPTEM BER 23, 1892.
THE NORTH SHORE BRANCH REACHED WADING RIVER IN MAY, 1895 AND SERVICE COMMENCED LATE IN JUNE.

Go To WADING   RIVER   BRANCH




THE NEW YORK AND ROCKAWAY RAILROAD COMPANY
WAS INCORPORATED DECEMBER 30, 1870


REVISED   MAY   1   2016
PART                     THE     CEDARHURST     CUT     OFF                       TWO
THE   NEW   YORK   &   ROCKAWAY   RAILROAD   COMPANY
THE  JAMAICA  AND  SOUTH   SHORE  RAILROAD  COMPANY



THE  ROCKAWAY  RAILWAY  COMPANY  OF  QUEENS  COUNTY
INCORPORATED  SEPTEMBER  5,  1871  and  MERGED  WITH  SOUTH  SIDE  R. R.  MAY  31,  1872.

IN  1872  IT  BUILT  TO  THE  SOUTH  SIDE  RAIL  ROAD'S  
SOUTH   SIDE   PAVILLION
BY  1873  THE  LINE  HAD  REACHED  THE   SEASIDE   HOUSE
BY  MAY  1875  THE   NEPTUNE   HOUSE   AT   BEACH   116th   STREET.

go   to     BY   RAIL   TO   THE   SEA   -   TO   THE   ROCKAWAYS



THE   NATIONAL   RIFLE   ASSOCIATION   WAS   FORMED   IN   1871

INTERNATIONAL   RIFLE   MATCHES   OF   1873   AND   1874
CENTRAL   RAIL   ROAD   OF   LONG   ISLAND
NATIONAL     RIFLE     ASSOCIATION
LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD

INTERNATIONAL   RIFLE   MATCH   OF   SEPTEMBER   12,   13   AND   14,   1876


INTERNATIONAL   RIFLE   MATCH   OF   SEPTEMBER   13   AND   14     1877
CENTRAL   RAIL   ROAD   OF   LONG   ISLAND
NATIONAL     RIFLE     ASSOCIATION
LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD




THE   CENTRAL   RAIL   ROAD   OF   LONG   ISLAND
INCORPORATED   MARCH   4,   1871   -   OPENED   JANUARY   1,   1873
THE   STEWART   LINE


THE STEWART LINE - CENTRAL RAIL ROAD OF LONG ISLAND - Page ONE

PAGE TWO - GREAT NECK JUNCTION and THE FLUSHING BRANCH.

PAGES THREE AND FOUR - FLUSHING TO CREEDMOOR.

PAGE FIVE - CREEDMOOR.

6. CREEDMOOR HOSPITAL SIDING and CREEDMOOR TO EAST HINSDALE.

1914 REPORT ON CENTRAL RAIL ROAD OF LONG ISLAND
and its rights, if any, still existing


PAGE SEVEN - EAST HINSDALE - FLORAL PARK.

PAGE EIGHT - FLORAL PARK   Part Two

PAGE   NINE - FLORAL PARK   Part 3

PAGE   TEN - FLORAL PARK TO NASSAU BOULEVARD

PAGE  ELEVEN - GARDEN    CITY

PAGE   TWELVE - GARDEN CITY TO HEMPSTEAD CROSSING

PAGE  THIRTEEN - HEMPSTEAD CROSSING.

HEMPSTEAD CROSSING IN THE 1879 TIME TABLE

PAGE  FOURTEEN - HC BECOMES GARDEN

PAGE  FIFTEEN - HC SOUTHEAST LEG OF WYE

PAGE  SIXTEEN - HEMPSTEAD CROSSING STATION - COUNTRY LIFE PRESS

PAGE  SEVENTEEN - COUNTRY LIFE PRESS TO HEMPSTEAD   Revised July 2, 2005

PAGE  EIGHTEEN - HEMPSTEAD STATION

19.   CENTRAL EXTENSION - PART ONE - HEMPSTEAD CROSSING TO CAMPS BLACK AND MILLS

20.   CENTRAL EXTENSION - CLINTON ROAD TO MITCHEL FIELD



23.   CENTRAL   EXTENSION  -  MEADOW   BROOK
TO   MEADOW   BROOK   CLUB   ROAD   BRIDGE


24.   SALISBURY PLAINS TO BETHPAGE JUNCTION
          RENT   A   STATION   -   SALISBURY   PLAINS


SHUTTLE SERVICE GARDEN CITY TO CAMP BLACK,
MITCHEL FIELD AND SALISBURY PLAINS PART ONE


SHUTTLE SERVICE GARDEN CITY TO CAMP BLACK,
MITCHEL FIELD AND SALISBURY PLAINS PART TWO


25.   BETHPAGE JUNCTION

26.   BETHPAGE BRANCH

27.   CENTRAL BRANCH

28.   BABYLON - FIRE ISLAND - WATSON HOUSE - BABYLON RAILROAD

MILE-A-MINUTE  MURPHY

1908 AC ELECTRIFICATION

1930's   PHOTOGRAPH   OF   MITCHEL   AIR   FORCE   BASE   DISSECTED

MITCHEL   FIELD         ???   BUNKER     ???
LETTER  ADDED  DECEMBER  20



THE NASSAU COUNTY LOOP - CENTRAL EXTENSION
THE PROPOSED - THE PRESENT AND THE PREPOSTEROUS



Go   to     1874   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   TIMETABLE




ON JUNE 19, 1874   THE FLUSHING, NORTH SHORE & CENTRAL RAILROAD COMPANY
WAS FORMED BY THE CONSOLODATION OF THE FLUSHING & NORTH SIDE RAIL ROAD,
THE CENTRAL RAIL ROAD COMPANY OF LONG ISLAND, THE CENTRAL RAILROAD
EXTENSION COMPANY, THE WHITESTONE & WESTCHESTER RAILROAD COMPANY,
THE NORTH SHORE RAILROAD CO., THE NORTH SHORE & PORT WASHINGTON
RAILROAD CO. AND THE ROSLYN & HUNTINGTON RAILROAD COMPANY.

IN JULY 1874 THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD WAS SOLD IN FORECLOSURE TO THE
OWNERS OF THE FLUSHING, NORTH SHORE & CENTRAL RAILROAD COMPANY,
ADOLPH, ALFRED AND HERMANN POPPENHUSEN et al.   THE NEW CORPORATION WAS NAMED
THE SOUTHERN RAILROAD COMPANY OF LONG ISLAND

IN JANUARY 1876 THE POPPENHUSENS PURCHASED THIRTY-FIVE THOUSAND SHARES -
A CONTROLLING INTEREST - OF LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD STOCK.   THE FLUSHING, NORTH
SHORE & CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN RAILROADS WERE LEASED TO THE LONG ISLAND.



SEE   UNIFIED   SYSTEMS   PASSES

1876   UNIFIED   SYSTEMS   AD




THE   ATLANTIC   AVENUE   RAILROAD   AND   THE   L.I.R.R.

4.   1877   -   1898 - Revised 11/03/03

4a.   RAPID   TRANSIT - New AUGUST 29, 2005

5.   1899   -   1904   BROOKLYN   BRIDGE   SERVICE

6.   BEDFORD TO EAST NEW YORK   1877 - 1902   Revised 12/02/03


THE   ATLANTIC   AVENUE   IMPROVEMENT

7.   DIVISION   ONE

CONSTRUCTION

APRIL   1,   1907   -   ONE     HUNDRED     YEARS   -   APRIL   1,   2007
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL
PASSENGER   STATION   EXTERIOR

APRIL   1,   1907   -   ONE     HUNDRED     YEARS   -   APRIL   1,   2007
YOUR   TAX   PAYER   DOLLARS   AT   WORK
PASSENGER   STATION   INTERIOR

THE   BAGGAGE   ROOM   AND
THE   RELOCATED   LADIES   ROOM

APRIL   1,   1907   -   ONE     HUNDRED     YEARS   -   APRIL   1,   2007
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL
PASSENGER   STATION   CONCOURSE

MERCHANDISE   FREIGHT   TERMINAL   PART   ONE
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL
J.   RABINOWITZ   GLASSWARE

MERCHANDISE   FREIGHT   TERMINAL   PART   TWO
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL
J.   RABINOWITZ   GLASSWARE

NEW     OCTOBER     20
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL

NEW     OCTOBER     20
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL

REVISED   MAY   29,   2007
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL
LONG   ISLAND   EXPRESS   COMPANY


THE I.R.T. CONNECTION   NEW 10/20/03 - Revised 10/22/03 < - - - -

MEAT HOUSES   -   Revised 10/11/03 < - - - -

CARLTON/VANDERBILT AVENUE FREIGHT YARDS - Revised 10/22/03

8. ATLANTIC AVENUE IMPROVEMENT DIVISION TWO

9. ATLANTIC AVENUE IMPROVEMENT DIVISION THREE

10. ATLANTIC AVENUE IMPROVEMENT DIVISION FOUR

GO   TO   EAST   OF   EAST   NEW   YORK
HOWARD   HOUSE   TIMETABLE   and   CANARSIE   LINE   TICKET


GO   TO   1903   ARTICLE   FROM   "THE   ENGINEERING   RECORD"

11. ATLANTIC AVENUE IMPROVEMENT DIVISION FOUR EAST

PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE TO ATKINS AVENUE


12. AFTER ELECTRIFICATION

FLATBUSH AVENUE TO WOODHAVEN JUNCTION

WOODHAVEN JUNCTION TO ROCKAWAY JUNCTION and SUBURBAN TRAIN SERVICE

ROCKAWAY JUNCTION TO BELMONT PARK and LOCAL ELECTRIC TRAIN SERVICE




THE   BROOKLYN   &   MONTAUK   RAILROAD   COMPANY   WAS   INCORPORATED   NOVEMBER   20,   1879   AS   A   REORGANIZATION   OF   THE   SOUTHERN   RAILROAD   COMPANY   WHICH   HAD   BEEN   LEASED   TO   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAILROAD   IN   JANUARY   1876.     IN   1881   THIS   COMPANY   EXTENDED   THE   TRACK   A   DISTANCE   OF   19.18   MILES   TO   A   CONNECTION   WITH   THE   SAG   HARBOR   BRANCH   AT   EASTPORT.

Go  to  ---- >  HAGERMAN   STATION

Go  to  ---- >  BELLPORT   STATION

Go  to  ---- >  BROOKHAVEN   STATION

Go  to  ---- >  MASTIC   STATION

go   to  ---- >  KEN  SPOONER'S  MASTIC  WEBSITE

Go  to  ---- >  CENTER   MORICHES

Go  to  ---- >  EAST   MORICHES   STATION

Go  to  ---- >  EAST   MORICHES   SEMAPHORE   SIGNAL



  LONG   ISLAND
  RAIL     ROAD
TO   THE   BEACHES

THE   NEW   YORK  &  MANHATTAN   BEACH   RAILWAY

THE MANHATTAN BEACH BRANCH Part One - revised 12/30/02.

THE KINGS COUNTY CENTRAL RAILROAD   Revised August 19, 2009

1878   AND  1881  TIME  TABLES   -   DESCRIPTION OF THE SERVICE TO
MANHATTAN BEACH,   BRIGHTON BEACH AND THE EAST END PAVILION.


L.I.R.R.   EVERGREEN   BRANCH
Revised July 12, 2005   -   IS   THIS   GREENPOINT   DEPOT?     YES!!

THE LONG ISLAND CITY AND MANHATTAN BEACH RAILROAD COMPANY WAS INCORPORATED FEBRUARY 24, 1883 TO CONNECT THE NEW YORK & MANHATTAN BEACH RAILWAY AT COOPER AVENUE JUNCTION WITH THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD MONTAUK DIVISION AT FRESH POND JUNCTION.


Go   to   LONG   ISLAND   CITY   &   MANHATTAN   BEACH   RAILROAD

FN   CABIN,   FN   TOWER,   FREMONT   TOWER


WHAT'S     NU
  NU


BRIGHTON BEACH CROSSING
- new September 1, 2002

M.B.BRANCH part 2 - OCEAN AVENUE, M.B. JCT., B.R.T. JCT.

M.B.BRANCH part 2a - THE SECOND M.B. JCT. TOWER:   "MJ" - "BEDFORD"

M.B.BRANCH part 3 - MANHATTAN TERRACE to S. GREENFIELD

M.B.BRANCH part 4 - AVENUE N to KINGS HIGHWAY

M.B.BRANCH part 5 - NECK ROAD to AVENUE Z

M.B.BRANCH part 6 - SHEEPSHEAD BAY

SHEEPSHEAD   BAY   JUNCTION New   DECEMBER 27, 2002

M.B.BRANCH part 7 - MANHATTAN BEACH   Revised 05/15/03




MAP FROM 1907 BROMLEY ATLAS



GIANT   ROLLER   COASTER   AT   BRIGHTON   BEACH

BRIGHTON   RACING   ASSOCIATION   TRACK

BRIGHTON   BEACH
    < - - - - - <     REVISED   FEBRUARY   12,   2007


THE MARINE RAILWAY   REVISED DECEMBER 8, 2006

MARINE   RAILWAY   Part   TWO   -   GIANT   COASTER   -   NEW DECEMBER 8, 2006

MOVING   THE   BRIGHTON   BEACH   HOTEL





BY   RAIL   TO   THE   SEA

TO   CONEY   ISLAND

1.     THE   BROOKLYN,   BATH  &  CONEY   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD

2.     THE  NEW  YORK  AND  SEA  BEACH  RAILROAD
THE   BROOKLYN   CITY   STEAM   RAILROAD


3.     PROSPECT   PARK   AND   CONEY   ISLAND   RAILROAD
THE   CULVER   LINE





BY   RAIL   TO   THE   SEA   -   TO   THE   ROCKAWAYS

FOR   STATIONS   BROOKLYN   TO   ROCKAWAY   PARK   AND
HAMMEL   TO   VALLEY   STREAM   SCROLL   DOWN   TO   ELECTRIFICATION


BY   RAIL   TO   THE   SEA   -   TO   FIRE   ISLAND   -
THE   BABYLON   RAILROAD   -   THE   WATSON   HOUSE,   BABYLON





 Long Island Rail Road
To The Beaches            



THE   NEW   YORK   &   LONG   BEACH   RAILROAD   COMPANY
CHARTERED   FEBRUARY   3,   1880   AND   OPENED   JUNE   5,   1880.

BY   RAIL   TO   THE   SEA   -   TO   LONG   BEACH


THE   SOUTH   SIDE   EXTRA
THE   LONG     ISLAND     RAIL   ROAD   AND   LILCO

LONG   ISLAND   LIGHTING   COMPANY
SOUTH     SIDE     EXTRA
THE   LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD

BY   RAIL   TO   THE   SEA   TO   MONTAUK

BY RAIL TO THE SEA - SUNRISE   SPECIAL

BY RAIL TO THE SEA - EAST ENDER - FISH TRAIN

BY RAIL TO THE SEA - MONTAUK   PAGES   Revised 07/26/03 and 08/02/03

                     MONTAUK   POINT   Revised 11/17/03

MILITARY   POST   OFFICE   CANCELATION   ADDED
CAMP WIKOFF AT MONTAUK
WHEN THE L.I.R.R. RAN 1207 REGULAR DAILY TRAINS AND MANY EXTRAS!


AUSTIN CORBIN LETTER ADDED TO MONTAUK PAGES 08/02/03


BY   RAIL   TO   PROMISED   LAND
1907   TICKET   ADDED   TO   AMAGANSETT   PAGE



BY   RAIL   TO   THE   SEA   TO   GREENPORT

JUNE   5   1955   TRIP   TO   GREENPORT

GO   TO   GREENPORT   PAGE   ONE

GO   TO   GREENPORT   PAGE   TWO

GO   TO   GREENPORT   PAGE   THREE


BY RAIL TO THE SEA - OYSTER   BAY    new 8/09/02
PHOTO OF ENGINEHOUSE ADDED JULY 28, 2005

ENGINES 35 AND 39 AT OYSTER BAY - - - More OLDE Stuff added 8/26/02





BY   RAIL   TO   THE   TRACK
RACE   TRACKS   SERVED   BY   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD



LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   ELECTRIFICATION




CEDARHURST     RAILWAY     COMPANY
L.   I.   R.   R.     CEDARHURST     BRANCH




1905    -     ONE   HUNDRED   YEARS    -    2005
LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   ELECTRIFICATION

Go to ---->   THE   INSTALLATION   -   THE   EQUIPMENT   -   SUB   STATIONS

JULY   26,   1905   -   ELECTRIC   TRAIN   SERVICE   BEGINS
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   BROOKLYN   TO   ROCKAWAY   PARK

FOUR   PAGES:
1.   FLATBUSH  AVENUE  TO  WOODHAVEN  JUNCTION
2.   OZONE   PARK   TO   HAMMEL
3.   HAMMEL   TO   ROCKAWAY   PARK
4.   ROCKAWAY   PARK

AUGUST 29, 1905 -
ELECTRIFICATION BROOKLYN TO ROCKAWAY JUNCTION

SEPTEMBER   22,   1905   ELECTRIFICATION   TO   BELMONT   PARK

OCTOBER   3,   1905   OLD   SOUTHERN   ROAD   ELECTRIFICATION

IN OCTOBER 1905 THIRD RAIL WAS INSTALLED AND ELECTRIC TRAIN
SERVICE BEGAN BETWEEN HAMMEL AND FAR ROCKAWAY

Go to ---->   OCEAN   ELECTRIC   RAILWAY

NOVEMBER  5,  1905 - EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 37 GOES INTO EFFECT.   ALL PASSENGER TRAINS INTO AND DEPARTING FLATBUSH AVENUE TERMINAL ARE ELECTRIC.

DECEMBER 11,  1905  ELECTRIFICATION   FAR   ROCKAWAY - VALLEY   STREAM

MAY  17,  1906   SPRINGFIELD  JUNCTION  TO  VALLEY  STREAM  ELECTRIFICATION

MAY   26,   1908   ELECTRIFICATION   TO   HEMPSTEAD

IN 1908 FIVE MILES OF TRACK EAST OF HEMPSTEAD CROSSING
WERE ELECTRIFIED WITH 11,000 VOLT A. C. CATENARY


Go to 1908   A.  C.   ELECTRIFICATION


SEPTEMBER   8,   1910     OPENING   OF   PENNSYLVANIA   STATION
SEPTEMBER   8,   1910

NORTH   SIDE   DIVISION   TO   WHITESTONE   LANDING   SEPTEMBER   1912

NORTH   SIDE   DIVISION   TO   PORT   WASHINGTON   OCTOBER   1913



UBIQUITOUS   SIGN


SINCERE THANKS TO BEN JANKOWSKI




ONE       HUNDRED       YEARS
JAMAICA       STATION
MARCH   9,   1913     -     MARCH   9,   2013
JAMAICA       STATION

THE     JAMAICA     ELIMINATION
THE   JAMAICA   ELIMINATION   -   THE   FIRST   STEPS

THE   JAMAICA   ELIMINATION   -   SYOSSET       SAND









THE     LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD     COMPANY
WILLOW   TREE   STATION   -   ROCKAWAY   JUNCTION
RJ     INTERLOCKING
THE   JAMAICA   IMPROVEMENT   CABIN   TEN
THE   NEW   YORK   AND   ROCKAWAY   RAILROAD   COMPANY

THE     LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD     COMPANY
WOODHULL   PARK   STATION
HILLSIDE   STATION   -   RJ   TOWER
THE   JAMAICA   IMPROVEMENT

JUNE   5   1943

LILLIAN   REDMOND,   NEW   LEVERPERSON   AT   HALL   TOWER













C.R.R.L.I.   PAGE   SEVEN   -   EAST   HINSDALE   -   FLORAL   PARK.

C.R.R.L.I.   PAGE   EIGHT   -   FLORAL   PARK   Part   Two

C.R.R.L.I.   PAGE   NINE  -   FLORAL   PARK     Part   3

FEBRUARY   4,   1954   MAIN   LINE   DERAILMENT
BETWEEN   FLORAL   PARK   AND   NEW   HYDE   PARK










JUNE   5   1955   TRIP   TO   GREENPORT

GO   TO   GREENPORT   PAGE   ONE

GO   TO   GREENPORT   PAGE   TWO

GO   TO   GREENPORT   PAGE   THREE


THE     LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD     COMPANY
THE   SUNDAY   NEWSPAPER   TRAIN
THE     LONG     ISLAND     NEWS     COMPANY



NEW   JANUARY   4   2017
1897   HOSPITAL   CAR


NEW   OCTOBER   31   2016   AND   REVISED   NOVEMBER   1   2016
MU   CONTROL   TRAILER
1914   CT-54A   PRIVATE   CLUB   CAR   "ROCKAWAY"
BECAME   NUMBER   1677   "ROCKAWAY"   THEN   SIMPLY   NUMBER   1677


LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   BUSINESS   CAR   NUMBER   2000



APRIL   FIRST   2016   FOOLISHNESS


NEW   OCTOBER   2   2015


WE DO NOT DISPLAY PHOTOGRAPHS OF FATAL WRECKS. ESPECIALLY THE 1950 WRECKS WHICH WE REMEMBER. AND WE HEARD SOME NASTY STORIES - WHICH WE WILL NOT REPEAT - FROM PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE. BUT WE HAVE JUST ACQUIRED TWO 1950 ROCKVILLE CENTRE PHOTOS, WHICH ARE NOT GRUESOME OR BLOODY, WHICH SHOW THE GAUNTLET TRACK AND EASTBOUND HOME SIGNAL. SOME THOUGHT THAT GAUNTLET TRACKS HAD BEEN OUTLAWED AFTER THE 1893 PARKVILLE TUNNEL WRECK. BUT THE P.S.C. ALLOWED THE RAILROAD TO INSTALL ONE ON THE TEMPORARY ROCKVILLE CENTRE TRACKS.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana via Wikiquotes



















NEW   FEBRUARY   9,   2014








ON SATURDAY AUGUST 25 AND SUNDAY AUGUST 26, 2007, LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD PASSENGERS WERE BEING TRANSFERRED TO BUSES BETWEEN MINEOLA AND HICKSVILLE.   RONKONKOMA TRAINS WERE OPERATING VIA THE MONTAUK BRANCH AND THE CENTRAL BRANCH REQUIRING A REVERSE MOVE - AND PROBABLY A SECOND ENGINEER -
AT BABYLON AND AT BETHPAGE JUNCTION.   WHY?   BECAUSE A BRIDGE WAS BEING ROLLED INTO PLACE BENEATH THE TRACKS AT ROSLYN ROAD MINEOLA.

AIN'T THE WAY IT WAS DONE FIFTY OR SO YEARS AGO.



WITH   THANKS   TO   TOM   REDMOND   WHOSE   GRANDFATHER   WAS
A   L.I.R.R.   POLICE   DEPARTMENT   SERGEANT   AND   TO   DON   FISHER,
President Railroad Museum of Long Island
440 - 4th Street   P.O. Box 726   Greenport NY 11944-0726

WE   ADD   THE   BADGE   OF   SGT.   JOHN   J.   REDMOND





S T E A M




CAREER   OPPORTUNITY





THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   FIRST   LOCOMOTIVE   "ARIEL"


THE   ARTICULATED   STEAM   LOCOMOTIVES   OF   LONG   ISLAND


TIRE     FIRE

A   DRIVING   WHEEL   TIRE   BEING   HEATED   TO   THE   TEMPERATURE   REQUIRED
FOR   PROPER   EXPANSION   FOR   PLACEMENT   ON   THE   CAST   DRIVING   WHEEL.


MORRIS PARK SHOP PHOTO BY BILL RUGEN







INTERESTING     1948     PHOTOGRAPH

ON   FEBRUARY   14,   1948   ROLF   SCHNEIDER   PHOTOGRAPHED   THIS   FREIGHT   FROM   OLIVET   (MV)   TOWER.     THE   ENGINE,   H10s   NUMBER   105   HAD   RECENTLY   BEEN   EQUIPPED   WITH   A   STOKER   AND   LARGER   TENDER.     THE   HACK   IS   A   PENNSYLVANIA   RAILROAD   N6B   WOOD   CABIN   CAR.     OLIVET   TOWER   WAS   CLOSED   IN   1950   WHEN   STREET   CARS   WERE   TAKEN   OFF   FLUSHING   AVENUE.     THE   BUILDING   AND   SIDING   WERE   THE   WELBILT   COMPANY,     STOVE   AND   OVEN   MANUFACTURERS.







OCTOBER   15,   1951
THE   LAST   FOUR   K4s   WERE   RETURNED   TO   THE   PENNSY   AND   MOST   OF   THE   G5s   WERE   RETIRED.
ONE OF THE LAST FOUR K4s WAS NUMBER 5406 - SEEN HERE ARRIVING AT HAMPTON BAYS IN 1947


    ENGINE   THIRTY   NINE

    ENGINE   PRR   5741   FIFTY   SEVEN   FORTY   ONE






OCTOBER   31   1954   FAN   TRIP



    JUNE   FIFTH   1955   PASSENGER   EXTRA   39   TO   GREENPORT




L.  I.  R.  R.  STEAM   FINALE   -   OCTOBER   1955




THE  DAY  THE  MUSIC  DIED
GO  TO ----> OCTOBER  16,   1955 





OCTOBER   1955   -   BB3   ELECTRIC   LOCOMOTIVES   RETIRED

OCTOBER   3,   1955   ABANDONMENT   OF   ROCKAWAY   BEACH   DIVISION

REVISED   JUNE   27
POSTAL   HISTORY   -   OCEANUS   POST   OFFICE   -   AERO   MAIL
OCEANUS   POST   OFFICE   CANCEL   ADDED


IN   COMMEMORATION   OF   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   176TH
ANNIVERSARY   WE   OFFER   "THE   PING",   A   CAR   UNIQUE   TO   THE   L. I. R. R.
APRIL   24,   2010









LONG   ISLAND   CITY   TO   GREENPORT   IN   ONE   HOUR   FIFTY - SIX   MINUTES!!

THIRD   FASTEST   TRAIN   IN   AMERICA   -   THE   SUNRISE   SPECIAL








DAVE   KELLER'S   INTERESTING   AND   INFORMATIVE   PAGE
EVOLUTION   OF   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   CAP   BADGES  -  1880s   to   the   PRESENT   DAY



















UNUSUAL   GRADE   CROSSING   PROTECTION
GO   TO   BARRIER   GATES






THIS   N.  R.  H.  S.   (NATIONAL   RAILWAY   HISTORICAL   SOCIETY)   CHAPTER   SAVED   AN   1896   TOWER   FROM   THE   WRECKER'S   BALL,   REBUILT   IT   AND   OPENED   A   MUSEUM   THEREIN
CLICK   HERE







    FROM   THE   TRAIN - New April 27, 2005


DOREEN   AND   ART   HAVE   MOVED   TO   TENNESSEE

IN  1956  ART   SAW  OPERATING  STEAM  ON  THE
TENNESSEE  RAILROAD  AND   THE  BRIMSTONE  RAILROAD

TENNESSEE   AND   BRIMSTONE   RAILROADS




Click here for   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   AND   ARRT



SOME   OUT   OF   THE   ORDINARY   COLOUR   PHOTOGRAPHS



PHOTO   PAGE   ONE
LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   STEAM   PHOTOS   1



PHOTO   PAGE   TWO
LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   STEAM   PHOTOS   2



PHOTO   PAGE   THREE
L.I.R.R.   PHOTOS   3   -   TRAINS   &   STRUCTURES



BY   RAIL   TO   THE   RANCH
MONTAUK   CATTLE   DELIVERY



THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD   -   170 YEARS


1986   U. S.   OPEN   -   SOUTHAMPTON   COLLEGE   STATION






EARLIEST  KNOWN  USE  OF  KEYSTONE  BY  LONG  ISLAND  RAIL  ROAD
LOGOS   AND   NO   GOS   Part   ONE


PART   TWO   REVISED   DECEMBER   30,   2008
LOGOS   AND   NO   GOS
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY










FREIGHT PAGE ONE

FREIGHT PAGE TWO

FREIGHT PAGE THREE      GRUMMAN
CALVERTON - OLD WAYBILLS - MONTAUK CATTLE