ARRT'S   ARRCHIVES





Copyright © MARCH 2006 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


THE   HUNTERS   POINT   and   SOUTH   SIDE   RAILROAD
PHELPS - DODGE   -   LAUREL   HILL   -   HABERMAN   -   MASPETH
THE    LONG    ISLAND    RAIL    ROAD    COMPANY


THE HUNTERS POINT & SOUTH SIDE RAILROAD COMPANY WAS INCORPORATED JANUARY 5, 1870 AND WAS TAKEN OVER BY THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD SEPTEMBER 14, 1872.   IT WAS BUILT TO CONNECT THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD AT BUSHWICK JUNCTION WITH THE WESTERLY PORTION OF THE RECENTLY PURCHASED NEW YORK & FLUSHING RAIL ROAD AT LAUREL HILL.


THE 1873 COLTON MAP SHOWS THE NEW YORK & FLUSHING RAIL ROAD.


THE 1873 BEERS ATLAS SHOWS THE HUNTERS POINT & SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD


BENEATH THE NAME "BERLIN" THE H.P. & S. S. CURVES TO A CONNECTION WITH THE N. Y. & F. R. R. AT "NEW YORK & FLUSHING JUNCTION".


WHEN THE BROOKLYN & MONTAUK RAILROAD DOUBLETRACKED THIS LINE IN 1880 A REALIGNMENT OF THE RIGHT OF WAY PRODUCED A GENTLER CURVE.


THE PHELPS DODGE COPPER REFINERY AFTER IT HAD CLOSED.
THIS HAD BEEN THE L. I. R. R.'S LARGEST CONSIGNEE.


THE PHELPS DODGE COPPER REFINERY AFTER IT HAD CLOSED.
THE GRADE CROSSING IS WASHINGTON AVENUE


WASHINGTON AVENUE GRADE CROSSING




THANKS   TO   PETER   BALL   OF   DEER   PARK   FOR
THIS   1973   COLOR   PHOTOGRAPH   TAKEN   BY   HIS   DAD


LOOKING   WEST   IN   1973


LOOKING SOUTH TOWARD HABERMAN'S FACTORY IN 1910


LOOKING NORTH JUST SOUTH OF CLIFTON AVENUE (46th STREET) IN 1910.
IN THE 1880'S AND UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1892, THIS WAS THE LOCATION OF LAUREL HILL STATION.



HABERMAN'S FACTORY



HABERMAN   STATION


LOOKING EAST AT HABERMAN'S CROSSING - DEBEVOISE AVENUE - IN 1910.
STRAIGHT AHEAD BETWEEN THE BUILDING AND THE CROSSING SIGN IS VIRTUALLY
THE RIGHT OF WAY OF THE FLUSHING RAIL ROAD, LATER NEW YORK & FLUSHING.


LOOKING WEST AT HABERMAN STATION IN 1910.
THE SECOND LH TOWER - ORIGINALLY TOWER NUMBER FIVE - WAS LOCATED EAST OF THE STATION.
PIPELINE TO THE SWITCH AND DERAIL AND THE BRACKET POLE HOME SIGNAL ARE SEEN.


BILL SLADE PHOTOGRAPHED ENGINE 39 WITH TRAIN NUMBER 554 ARRIVING AT HABERMAN.


BILL SLADE PHOTOGRAPHED AN EASTBOUND TRAIN DEPARTING HABERMAN.


BILL RUGEN PHOTOGRAPHED THE STATION IN 1962.
THE AUTOMATIC SIGNAL IS A "GRADE SIGNAL" - DESIGNATED BY A YELLOW DISC WITH A LETTER "G".
A HEAVY FREIGHT TRAIN COULD PASS THE SIGNAL DISPLAYING
"STOP AND PROCEED" AT RESTRICTED SPEED WITHOUT STOPPING.


IN 1998 JUST BEFORE THE STATION CLOSED.


THE "GRADE SIGNAL" AND MASPETH YARD.   AT THE RIGHT IS THE GUARD TOWER FOR
THE U.S. NAVY YARD WHERE CARS WERE SWITCHED BY THEIR SIDE-ROD PLYMOUTH DIESEL.


MASPETH   STATION   1895  -  1923



THANKS   TO   PETER   BALL   OF   DEER   PARK   FOR
THESE   1973   COLOR   PHOTOS   TAKEN   BY   HIS   DAD


MASPETH   YARD   IN   1973


MASPETH   YARD   IN   1973


MASPETH   AVENUE   LOOKING   SOUTH   IN   1944


MASPETH   AVENUE   LOOKING   SOUTH   IN   1973


MASPETH   AVENUE   LOOKING   NORTH IN 1973


MASPETH   YARD   LOOKING   EAST   IN   1944


MASPETH   YARD   LOOKING   WEST   IN   1944


MASPETH   AVENUE   LOOKING   WEST   IN   1973



Go to ----> H. P.  &  S. S. R. R.   PART   TWO
TOWER   NUMBER   SIX   -  MV   TOWER  -  OLIVET   TOWER



Go to ---->   PENNY   BRIDGE  -  FLUSHING   RAIL   ROAD


return to ----> HOME PAGE