ARRT'S   ARRCHIVES





Copyright © 2005 - 2007 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



ONE   HUNDRED   YEARS

THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD

1905   -   ELECTRIFICATION   -  2005




JULY   26,   1905       PART THREE


HAMMEL   -   SUB - STATION   NUMBER   FIVE



SS5 AT HAMMEL HAD AN EXTENSION HOUSING A BATTERY CAPABLE OF POWERING TRAINS IN CASE OF A POWER FAILURE.




HAMMEL   STATION   AND   FAIRVIEW   AVENUE   CROSSING

1899   -   1905

BRICK   BATTERY   HOUSE   IN   PLACE   BUT   NOT   THIRD   RAIL







"FX"   TOWER   -   FAIRVIEW   AVENUE   -   OPENED   APRIL   19,   1907

CIRCA 1910 - THE CAMELBACK 4-4-0 HAS A FORMER FLUSHING & NORTHSIDE
RAILROAD BAGGAGE (MAIL?) CAR AND OTHER "HEAD END" CARS.





HOLLAND   STATION





STEEPLECHASE   STATION

THE BUSIEST STATIONS HAD HOLDING PENS TO LIMIT PASSENGERS' ACCESS TO
PLATFORMS UNTIL THE GATES WERE OPENED - PERHAPS AFTER FARES WERE COLLECTED.
HERE A SIDETRACK WAS COVERED BY A REMOVEABLE SECTION OF THE PLATFORM




SEASIDE   STATION

PRE-ELECTRIFICATION PHOTOGRAPH
A TROLLEY CAR FROM FAR ROCKAWAY FOLLOWS THE STEAM TRAIN


A VERTICALLY HINGED GATE COVERS THE CROSSING WHEN A TRAIN PASSES AND COVERS THE
WESTBOUND TRACK AND THE END OF THE PLATFORM WHEN CROWDS ARE CROSSING THE TRACKS.



"SE"   CABIN   SEASIDE

THE TWO TRACKS BECAME FOUR - SWITCHES AND SIGNALS WERE INTERLOCKED.





Go to ---->   HAMMEL   TO   FAR   ROCKAWAY


Go to ---->   PART   FOUR   -   ROCKAWAY   PARK


Return to ---->   PART   Two


return to ----> HOME PAGE