ARRT'S   ARRCHIVES





Copyright © 2001-2014   Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND




1867  STOCK  CERTIFICATE  FROM  COLLECTION  OF  AND  WITH  THANKS  TO  JOHN  M.  SZABOL


IN  MAY  1875  THE  SOUTHERN  RAILROAD  COMPANY  WAS  STILL  USING  SOUTH  SIDE  RAIL  ROAD  CHECKS





THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD OF LONG ISLAND WAS INCORPORATED MARCH 23, 1860.   THE PERIOD OF TIME ALLOWED FOR COMPLETION WAS EXTENDED BY TWO YEARS IN 1864 AND AGAIN IN 1866.   WORK BEGAN MAY 28, 1866 AND IN SEPTEMBER 1866 THE DIRECTORS VOTED TO EXTEND THE ROAD TO PATCHOGUE.

TO REACH THE EAST RIVER FERRIES THEY APPROACHED THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD FOR A TRACK CONNECTION IN JAMAICA AND THE USE OF THEIR LINE TO HUNTERS POINT.   THE OLDER LINE REFUSED AND FOILED ATTEMPTS BY THE SOUTH SIDE TO USE THE BROOKLYN CENTRAL & JAMAICA AND TO PURCHASE THE NEW YORK & FLUSHING RAILROAD WITH WHICH IT WOULD HAVE CONNECTED AT LAUREL HILL.   THUS THE DECISION WAS MADE TO BUILD THROUGH BUSHWICK TO SOUTH EIGHTH STREET WILLIAMSBURG.

ON OCTOBER 28, 1867 REGULAR SERVICE BEGAN BETWEEN JAMAICA AND BABYLON.

ON JULY 18, 1868 SERVICE WAS EXTENDED WEST TO BUSHWICK AND ON NOVEMBER 4 TO THE EAST RIVER.
AS THE CITY OF BROOKLYN WOULD NOT ALLOW STEAM, WEST OF BUSHWICK HORSES PULLED THE CARS INDIVIDUALLY THROUGH THE STREETS TO SOUTH EIGHTH STREET.

IN DECEMBER 1868 SERVICE BEGAN TO SAYVILLE - IN APRIL 1869 TO PATCHOGUE.

A  FREIGHT STATION WAS ESTABLISHED AT YOUNGSPORT
Go   To   YOUNGSPORT   -   GREAT   RIVER

IN JULY 1869 THE FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH RAILROAD OPENED AND STEAM DUMMIES REPLACED HORSES WEST OF BUSHWICK.

TO PROVIDE A MARINE FREIGHT TERMINAL,   IN THE SUMMER OF 1869 A SPUR WAS BUILT TO NEWTOWN CREEK AT FURMAN'S ISLAND WHICH WAS STILL SURROUDED BY WATER.         See ---->   FURMAN'S   ISLAND

THE HUNTERS POINT & SOUTH SIDE RAILROAD COMPANY
WAS INCORPORATED JANUARY 5, 1870 AND WAS TAKEN OVER
BY THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD SEPTEMBER 14, 1872

IN FEBRUARY 1872,   THE PURCHASE OF THE WESTERLY PORTION OF THE NEW YORK & FLUSHING HAVING BEEN ACCOMPLISHED,   A FREIGHT DEPOT WAS OPENED AT HUNTERS POINT.

IN JULY 1874 THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD WAS SOLD IN FORECLOSURE
TO THE OWNERS OF THE FLUSHING, NORTH SHORE & CENTRAL
RAILROAD COMPANY, ADOLPH POPPENHUSEN et al.
THE NEW CORPORATION WAS NAMED
THE   SOUTHERN   RAILROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND

LOUIS RINGHOUSE,   LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD CONDUCTOR,   HAD BEGUN HIS CAREER WITH THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD.       See ---->   LOUIS   RINGHOUSE
















PUBLIC   TIME   TABLES   OF   1869   AND   1870
 

PUBLIC   TIME   TABLE   OF   JANUARY   1,   1869
SAYVILLE   WAS   THE   TERMINUS   UNTIL   APRIL
1869   WHEN   SERVICE   BEGAN   TO   PATCHOGUE
VALLEY   STREAM   WAS   NOT   YET   A   STATION.

 

ISLIP CENTRE MAY HAVE SERVED THE OLYMPIC BOAT CLUB AT THE FOOT OF SAXON AVENUE.
OLYMPIC SIDING   -   JUST EAST OF SAXON AVENUE   -   LASTED UNTIL RECENT YEARS


PUBLIC   TIME   TABLE   OF   MAY   30,   1870
ISLIP   CENTRE   IS   NO   LONGER   SHOWN
VALLEY   STREAM   AND   THE   FAR   ROCKAWAY   BRANCH   RAILROAD   APPEAR.




EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE   OF   OCTOBER   3,   1870   -   IMAGE   REDUCED   IN   SIZE


EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE   OF   OCTOBER   3,   1870   -   LARGER   IMAGE



FROM   AUGUST   11,   1869   "SOUTH   SIDE   SIGNAL"   BABYLON   NEWSPAPER





SOUTH   SIDE   RAILROAD   TRAIN   AT   FAR   ROCKAWAY




THE   STATIONS

                        OCTOBER   1870
                     
                     
             
             
                            Go To   NEW   YORK   &   FLUSHING   RAILROAD

BUSHWICK   STATION   and   FREIGHT   HOUSE
FRESH   POND   STATION
GLENDALE   STATION
2   RICHMOND   HILL   -   CLARENCEVILLE
VAN   WYCK   AVENUE
JAMAICA   STATION
LOCUST   AVENUE   STATION
SPRINGFIELD   STATION - PHOTOGRAPH   AND   MAP

VALLEY   STREAM   and   ROCKAWAY   BRANCH
PEARSALLS   CORNER
ROCKVILLE   CENTRE
BALDWINSVILLE   STATION
FREEPORT   STATION   -   TWO   VIEWS
MERRICK   STATION
BELLMORE   STATION
RIDGEWOOD   STATION
SOUTH   OYSTER   BAY
AMITYVILLE   STATION
WELLWOOD   -   BRESLAU
BABYLON   STATION
BABYON RAILROAD AND FIRE ISLAND
BAY   SHORE
ISLIP   STATION
CLUB   HOUSE
OAKDALE   STATION
SAYVILLE   STATION
BAYPORT   STATION
BLUEPOINT   STATION
SOUTH   SIDE   RAILROAD'S   PATCHOGUE   STATION   WAS   LOCATED   BETWEEN
WEST   STREET   AND   RAILROAD   AVENUE         -         PHOTOGRAPH   AND   MAP

Go   to   PATCHOGUE   STATION


A  FREIGHT STATION WAS ESTABLISHED AT YOUNGSPORT

Go   To   YOUNGSPORT   -   GREAT   RIVER


GO   TO   ---->   SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION


SEYFRIED STATES THAT HEBBARD'S STATION APPEARED ONLY IN THE MAY,
JUNE AND AUGUST 1870 TIMETABLES AND THAT THE HEBBARD FARMHOUSE
WAS LOCATED ON FLUSHING AVENUE AT ABOUT 52nd STREET.

THE 1873 COLTON MAP SHOWS THAT AREA WHICH WAS KNOWN AS "EAST WILLIAMSBURG"

OUR 1962 PHOTOGRAPH IS LOOKING WEST AT FLUSHING AVENUE AND
SHOWS THE CROSSINGS THERE AND AT 56th STREET - MILTON STREET
55th STREET - FURMAN AVENUE,   AND 54th STREET - GARRISON AVENUE.

IN NOVEMBER 1895 A THREE LEVER INTERLOCKING MACHINE WAS INSTALLED WITH
TWO SIGNALS ON THE RAILROAD AND TWO DERAILS ON THE TROLLEY TRACKS.   THE
MACHINE AND DERAILS WERE REMOVED IN 1941 AND STOP BOARDS REPLACED THE SIGNALS.

Go   to   HEBBARD'S   STATION   EAST   WILLIAMSBURG
FLUSHING   AVENUE   CROSSING   -   THREE   IMAGES



SEYFRIED STATES THAT FOSTER'S MEADOW STATION FIRST APPEARED IN THE MAY 1870
TIMETABLE AND THAT THE STATION BUILDING OPENED IN JULY, 1871.   IN THE SUMMER OF
1889 A NEW STATION BUILDING WAS ERECTED.   PERHAPS THE ORIGINAL STATION BECAME
THE FREIGHT HOUSE IN THIS PHOTOGRAPH.   1892 THE VILLAGE NAME BECAME ROSEDALE.

Go   to   FOSTER'S   MEADOW   STATION



SPRINGFIELD JUNCTION WAS CREATED IN 1870 WHEN THE
NEW YORK & ROCKAWAY RAILROAD CROSSED THE SOUTH SIDE

Go   to   SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION   -   SP   TOWER