ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





Copyright © DECEMBER 11, 2005 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


ONE   HUNDRED   YEARS
THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD
1905   -   ELECTRIFICATION   -  2005


ONE   HUNDRED   YEARS   AGO   -   DECEMBER   11,   1905   -   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   BEGAN   ELECTRIC   TRAIN   SERVICE   BETWEEN   FAR   ROCKAWAY   AND   VALLEY   STREAM


THESE   ARE   THE   STATIONS   SHOWN   IN   EMPLOYE
TIME   TABLE   NUMBER   37   OF   NOVEMBER   5,   1905.


FROM   FAR   ROCKAWAY   TO   VALLEY   STREAM   WAS   EASTBOUND


FAR   ROCKAWAY   STATION





THIS   BLUEPRINT   SHOWS   THE   TWO   STALL   ENGINE   HOUSE   AND   TURNTABLE


IN   1907   "FW"   TOWER   WAS   BUILT




LAWRENCE   STATION



CEDARHURST   STATION

BUILT  IN  1872  BY  THE  SOUTH  SIDE  RAIL  ROAD  AS  "OCEAN  POINT"





LOOKING  SOUTH  FROM  THE  FORMER  SOUTH  SIDE  RAIL  ROAD  RIGHT - OF - WAY


LOOKING  NORTH.   THE  SOUTH  SIDE  TRACKS  WERE  SWUNG  OVER  TO  THE  LONG
ISLAND  RAIL  ROAD'S  NEW  YORK  &  ROCKAWAY  RAILROAD  RIGHT  OF  WAY.


WOODMERE   STATION



Go to ----> CEDARHURST   RAILWAY


HEWLETT   STATION



VALLEY   STREAM   STATION


From August 11, 1869 SOUTH SIDE SIGNAL Babylon Newspaper







"VA"   TOWER,   VALLEY   STREAM

IN  1907  THIS  TOWER  WITH  56  LEVERS  WAS  BUILT  TO  REPLACE  THE  1886  TOWER


IN  1910  TWO  NEW  TRACKS  WERE  INSTALLED  BETWEEN  VALLEY  STREAM  AND  LYNBROOK



ELECTRIFICATION  BETWEEN  HAMMEL  AND  FAR  ROCKAWAY  IS  COVERED  HERE:
Go to ---->   OCEAN   ELECTRIC   RAILWAY


SPRINGFIELD JUNCTION TO VALLEY STREAM ELECTRIFICATION


Go to ----> CEDARHURST   RAILWAY


return to ----> HOME PAGE