CEDARHURST     RAILWAY
ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





GOD   BLESS   AMERICA!

Copyright ©   2011   -   2017   Arthur   John   Huneke
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED




LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD
CEDARHURST     RAILWAY     COMPANY
    CEDARHURST           BRANCH



THE   CEDARHURST   "RAILWAY"   COMPANY   WAS   CHARTERED   NOVEMBER   28   1884.
THE   PRESIDENT   WAS   JOHN   D.   CHEEVER   WHO   BUILT
THE   ROCKAWAY   VILLAGE   RAILROAD,   A   HORSECAR   LINE.
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   1885   ANNUAL   REPORT   REFERS   TO   IT   AS   THE   CEDARHURST   "BRANCH",   OWNED,   AND   1.686   MILES   LONG   WITH   IRON   RAILS.   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   1886   ANNUAL   REPORT   STATES   THAT   $427.02   RENTAL   WAS   PAID   FOR   THE   CEDARHURST   "RAILROAD".   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   1889   ANNUAL   REPORT   REFERS   TO   IT   AS   THE   CEDARHURST   "BRANCH",   OWNED,   AND   1.33   MILES   LONG   WITH   IRON   RAILS.   $177.90   RENTAL   WAS   PAID   &   THEN   THE   LINE   WAS   PURCHASED   FOR   $7117.02.
SEYFRIED   WROTE   THAT   THROUGH   TRAINS   USED   THE   LINE   OCCASIONALLY   BUT   THAT   NORMAL   SERVICE   WAS   PROVIDED   BY   A HORSECAR.   THE   BRANCH   LAST   APPEARS   IN   THE   1894   ANNUAL   REPORT.


FROM THE NEW YORK STATE PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION DOCUMENTARY HISTORIES OF RAILROAD COMPANIES



FROM THE "BABYLON   SIGNAL" DECEMBER 20 1884


FROM THE "BABYLON   SIGNAL" FEBRUARY 14 1885



MARCH   27,   1885   RAILROAD   GAZETTE   PAGE   208   -   LONG   ISLAND

WORK HAS BEGUN ON A BRANCH WHICH IS TO RUN FROM THIS ROAD AT
WOODSBURGH,  NY TO  CEDARHURST,   A DISTANCE OF THREE MILES.
THE ROAD WILL BE BUILT BY MEMBERS OF THE ROCKAWAY
HUNT CLUB,   WHICH HAS A CLUB HOUSE AT CEDARHURST.


HARPER'S   WEEKLY   OF   MAY   9   1885













A   CIRCA   1900   MAP


BOB   EMERY'S   MARVELOUS   MAP   COURTESY   OF   DAVE   KELLER
















1

 


2
 

THE   RIGHT   OF   WAY   BECAME   WOOD   LANE   AND
RAILROAD   AVENUE.   WE BELIEVE   RAILROAD   AVE.
BECAME   AN   EXTENSION   OF   KEENE   LANE.







SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   WOODSBURGH   STATION








WOODSBURGH   -   WOODMERE   STATION   HAD   A   PORTE   COCHERE
TO   PROTECT   CARRIAGE   PASSENGERS   IN   INCLEMENT   WEATHER.

THE   FAR   ROCKAWAY   BRANCH   WAS   DOUBLE-TRACKED   IN   1902  -  1903.







BY   1939   THE   PORTE   COCHERE   WAS   GONE.


WHEN   HIGH   PLATFORMS   WERE   INSTALLED   THE   OVERHANGING   ROOF   WAS   CUT BACK.






 













GO   TO   FAR   ROCKAWAY   BRANCH


GO   TO   ROCKAWAY   VILLAGE   RAILROAD


RETURN   TO   HOME   PAGE