ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





GOD   BLESS   AMERICA!

Copyright © 2005   -   2012   Arthur   John   Huneke
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED


LINDENHURST         STATION
THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY

ORIGINALLY   WELLWOOD       -       LATER   BRESLAU


PUBLIC   TIME   TABLE   OF   JANUARY   1,   1869
THE   STATION'S   NAME   WAS   "WELLWOOD".
 

PUBLIC   TIME   TABLE   OF   MAY   30,   1870
STATION   IS   NOW   "BRESLAU".







FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   WEDNESDAY   MAY   25,   1870

GO   TO   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   ON   LINE

 

FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   SATURDAY   JUNE   4,   1870




FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   TUESDAY   JUNE   7,   1870

(1)                                                                         (4)
     

(2)                                                                         (5)
               

(3)                                                                         (6)
               



LONG  ISLAND  RAIL  ROAD  CONDUCTOR  LOUIS  RINGHOUSE,  WHO  HAD  STARTED  WITH  THE
SOUTH  SIDE  RAIL  ROAD,  WAS  INTERVIEWED  BY  THE  BROOKLYN  DAILY  EAGLE  IN  1909

 

go   to   CONDUCTOR   LOUIS   RINGHOUSE


FROM   "SKETCHES   OF   SUFFOLK   COUNTY,   HISTORICAL
AND   DESCRIPTIVE"   BY   RICHARD   M.   BAYLES,   1873




BEHIND   THE   EASTBOUND   TRAIN   IS   NEHRINGS   HOTEL




FROM   "SKETCHES   OF   SUFFOLK   COUNTY,   HISTORICAL
AND   DESCRIPTIVE"   BY   RICHARD   M.   BAYLES,   1873




THIS IS LOOKING NORTHEAST ON FALLERSLEBEN AVENUE IN 1907.
DAVE KELLER INFORMS US THAT IT IS NOW WEST JOHN STREET.



WIKIPEDIA   PROVIDES   AN   ABUNDANCE   OF   INFORMATION   ABOUT   HOFFMAN   VON
FALLERSLEBEN   EVEN   A   CONNECTION   WITH   BRESLAU   UNIVERSITY   IN   GERMANY.

^---   click   here   ---^

THE   CHURCH   IS   SAINT   JOHN'S   LUTHERAN.   NEXT   TO   IT   TO   THE   WEST   IS   A   FIREHOUSE   WHICH   IS   THOUGHT   TO   HAVE   BEEN   BUILT   IN   1870   AS   A   DEPOT   BY   WELWOOD   AND   SCHLEIER   WHO   CREATED   "THE   CITY   OF   BRESLAU".   BY   DECEMBER   1870   IT   HAD   BEEN   MOVED   TO   SCHOOL   STREET   AND   BECAME   THE   SCHOOLHOUSE.   IN   1876   OR   1877   A   LARGER   SCHOOL   WAS
BUILT   ON   SCHOOL   STREET   AND   THE   1870   BUILDING   WAS   MOVED   NORTHEAST.
ALTERNATIVELY   PERHAPS   IN   1870   IT   WAS   MOVED   HERE
AND   SERVED   AS   THE   SCHOOL   AND   LATER   THE   FIREHOUSE.




THIS IS THE NEW SCHOOLHOUSE WHICH WAS STILL THERE IN 1925 PROBABLY AS A PRIVATE RESIDENCE.



"OLD   TIMERS"   HAVE   CALLED   THIS   THE   "FIRST   DEPOT   -   MOVED   TO
SCHOOL   ST.   FOR   USE   AS   SCHOOL   -   1870.   SCHOOL   HOUSE   UNTIL   1877."
WE   WONDER   IF   IT   MIGHT   HAVE   BEEN   THE   BRESLAU   STATION
OF   STEWART'S   CENTRAL   RAIL   ROAD   OF   LONG   ISLAND.


THIS IS LOOKING NORTH ON SCHOOL STREET IN 1907.






FROM   THE   VILLAGE   OF   LINDENHURST   WEBSITE:
^---   click   here   ---^

".....Huntington farmers, who built a one-room schoolhouse on what is West Montauk
Highway, established our present public school system in 1841. In 1870 the German
settlers established another school on School Street. A new wooden school was built in 1876."

IT   IS   FURTHER   THOUGHT   THAT   THE   BUILDING   BECAME   A
(THE   FIRST)   FIREHOUSE   AND   LATER   A   PRIVATE   DWELLING.


"In 1877 the �Breslau Feuer Wehr� (Fire Protection) was formed. Four years later
the name was changed to the Breslau Engine Company, as it is still known today.
This same year, the �Union Hook & Ladder Company� was organized.
In 1884, the �Library Hose Company� was formed. By 1885, these three companies,
with a total of 44 men, combined and became known as the �Breslau Fire Department�


THE  SCHOOL  AND  AN  ENGINE  HOUSE  ARE  SHOWN  ON  THIS  1888  MAP
 

FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   FEBRUARY   23,   1881

THIS   DESCRIPTION   IS   NOT   HISTORICALLY   ACCURATE   BUT   DOES   EXPLAIN   THAT   THE
BRESLAU   &   FIRE   ISLAND   RAILROAD   WAS   ENVISIONED   BY   WELWOOD   AND   SCHLEIER.
 





THE CENTRAL RAILROAD OF LONG ISLAND HAD A BRESLAU STATION
LOCATED EAST OF WELLWOOD AVENUE - NOTE THE WIDTH OF PROPERTY
THE 66 FOOT ROW IS WIDENED TO 100 FEET.


THIS MAP FROM 1873 SHOWS BRESLAU STATION



IN   1891   BRESLAU   WAS   RENAMED   LINDENHURST
AND   THE   1868   DEPOT   WAS   PHOTOGRAPHED



THANKS   TO   DAVE   KELLER   FOR   THESE   1891   AND   1897   VIEWS
Photo courtesy of Ed Meinhold, Lindenhurst Historical
Society, 1901 Restored LIRR Depot Site Manager   VIA   DAVE   KELLER



Photo courtesy of Ed Meinhold, Lindenhurst Historical
Society, 1901 Restored LIRR Depot Site Manager



Photo courtesy of Ed Meinhold, Lindenhurst Historical
Society, 1901 Restored LIRR Depot Site Manager

LINDENHURST   STATION   IN   1897

THE   BAY   WINDOW   HAS   BEEN   EXTENDED   TO   THE   NORTH



Go   to   ----->   BRESLAU   part   two


Return   to   ----->   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD


Return   to   ---->   HOME   PAGE