ARRT'S   ARRCHIVES





Copyright © May 2006 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION   and   SP   TOWER

SPRINGFIELD JUNCTION WAS CREATED IN 1871 WHEN THE NEW YORK & ROCKAWAY
RAILROAD CROSSED THE SOUTH SIDE RAILROAD OF LONG ISLAND AT SPRINGFIELD



IN 1876 THE N.Y. & R.R.R. WAS CONNECTED WITH THE SOUTHERN RAILROAD ALLOWING
BABYLON AND PATCHOGUE TRAINS TO RUN VIA THE MAIN LINE AND ROCKAWAY JUNCTION



THIS LAND PLAN SHOWS WHEN THE VARIOUS PARCELS OF PROPERTY WERE PURCHASED.
IN JULY 1876 RIGHT OF WAY IN THE NORTHEAST QUADRANT WAS OBTAINED FOR THE
CONNECTION OF THE NEW YORK & ROCKAWAY WITH THE SOUTHERN RAILROAD.


SIGNAL   STATION   NUMBER   19   -   "SP"

THE 1895 TOWER IN EARLY 1906 - ON MAY 11, 1906 THE TOWER WAS REMOVED FROM SERVICE.
THE NEW THIRD TRACK (AT LEFT) WAS PLACED IN SERVICE MAY 17, 1906.




THE NEW TOWER - "SP" - WAS PLACED IN SERVICE MAY 12, 1906









THE   NEW   "SP"   TOWER
THE   FOURTH   TRACK   WAS   INSTALLED   IN   1910
MAKING   THE   ATLANTIC   BRANCH   DOUBLE   TRACK.


ANOTHER   OF   HENRY   WILHELM'S   MARVELOUS   TRACK   DIAGRAMS


Go to ----> N.   Y.   &   ROCKAWAY   R.  R.  -  CEDARHURST   CUT   OFF


return to ----> SOUTH   SIDE   RAILROAD   OF   LONG   ISLAND


return to ----> OLD   SOUTHERN   ROAD   ELECTRIFICATION


Go to ----> SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION   TO   VALLEY   STREAM   ELECTRIFICATION


return to ----> HOME PAGE