ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES


Copyright 2001-2010 Arthur John Huneke

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

   



THE     CEDARHURST     CUT     OFF
THE   NEW   YORK   &   ROCKAWAY   RAILROAD   COMPANY
THE   JAMAICA   AND   SOUTH   SHORE   RAILROAD   COMPANY


ON DECEMBER 30, 1870 THE NEW YORK & ROCKAWAY RAILROAD COMPANY WAS
CHARTERED TO BUILD FROM ROCKAWAY JUNCTION (LATER HILLSIDE) TO FAR ROCKAWAY.   THIS LINE CROSSED THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD AT SPRINGFIELD JUNCTION AND RAN DIRECTLY TO OCEAN POINT (CEDARHURST) WHERE IT CURVED AND RAN ADJACENT TO THE SOUTH SIDE RAIL ROAD AS FAR AS FAR ROCKAWAY.   IT THEN CROSSED THE S.S.R.R. AND RAN TO ITS TERMINAL AT LOCKWOOD'S GROVE.   THE ROUTE BETWEEN SPRINGFIELD JUNCTION AND CEDARHURST WAS LATER KNOWN AS THE "CEDARHURST CUT OFF".   THE LINE BETWEEN FAR ROCKAWAY AND LOCKWOOD'S GROVE WAS LATER KNOWN AS "THE GROVE TRACK".   ABOUT JULY 1, 1871 THE LINE WAS LEASED TO THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD.

THE   NEW   YORK   &   ROCKAWAY   OPENED   MAY   14,   1872.




SPRINGFIELD   WAS   AN   ORIGINAL   STATION   OF   THE   NEW   YORK   &   ROCKAWAY

THE   SECOND   TRACK   WAS   ADDED   IN   1880   -   THE   AUTOMATIC   SIGNALS   IN   1906

IN   1925   THE   TRACKS   WERE   ELECTRIFIED.     IN   EMPLOYE   TIMETABLE
NUMBER   107   OF   OCTOBER   1927   THE   NAME   CHANGED   TO   SPRINGFIELD   GARDENS

Go   to   SPRINGFIELD   GARDENS   STATION





THE   1874   TIME   TABLE   SHOWS   THE   "ROCK'W.   BRANCH"   AND   SPRINGFIELD   STATION







JUNE   16,   1878   -  
TWENTY   MINUTES   FAR   ROCKAWAY   TO
JAMAICA   VIA   NEW   YORK   &   ROCKAWAY   RAILROAD!


AND   CHECK   OUT   THE   TRAINS   BETWEEN   ROCKAWAY   BEACH   AND   HEMPSTEAD!


                                      1880 - READ THE SMALL PRINT.





SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION   WAS   CREATED   IN   1871   WHEN   THE   NEW   YORK   &
ROCKAWAY   RAILROAD   CROSSED   THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD


Go   to   SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION   -   SP   TOWER


Continue   to   CEDARHURST   CUT   -   OFF