ARRT'S   ARR CHIVES


Copyright © 2005     Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Page Revised 06/20/2015





MERRICK   STATION





FROM THE AUGUST 11, 1869 "SOUTH SIDE SIGNAL"



SEYFRIED INFORMS US THAT IN 1869 SOUTH SIDE RAILROAD OF LONG ISLAND PRESIDENT CHARLES FOX ERECTED A HOTEL WHICH SERVED AS THE FIRST STATION.

THE 1873 BEERS ATLAS SHOWS THE BUILDING - AND THE ENGINE HOUSE - AND DESCRIBES IT AS A TELEGRAPH OFFICE, PASSENGER DEPOT, STORE AND POST OFFICE.





THIS POSTCARD MAILED IN AUGUST 1908 SHOWS THE 1869 STRUCTURE, STILL A STORE AND POST OFFICE. THIS HAD BEEN THE PASSENGER STATION UNTIL 1885 AND ACCORDING TO SEYFRIED THE BUILDING BURNED IN FEBRUARY 1908.





IN 1902 THIS FRAME STRUCTURE REPLACED THE 1885 STATION.


BOB   STURM   1966   PHOTO   -   THANKS   BOB!


AND   ART   IN   1968


Go   to   ---->   SOUTH   SIDE   RAILROAD


return   to   ---->   HOME   PAGE