ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES




Copyright © 2009   Arthur   John   Huneke
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED



"NO"   CABINS   -   "NO"   TOWERS

IN MAY 1883 A TOWER WAS ERECTED IN EAST NEW YORK TO PROTECT THE CROSSING AT GRADE OF THE
ATLANTIC AND MANHATTAN BEACH DIVISIONS.     TOWER  NUMBER  63  LATER  BECAME  "NO"  TOWER.





IN   1915 THE   MANHATTAN   BEACH   (BAY   RIDGE   BRANCH)   TRACKS   WERE   MOVED
TO   THE   NEW   FOUR   TRACK   TUNNEL   AND   NO   TOWER   WAS   DEMOLISHED.




IN 1918 FOUR INTERLOCKINGS AND CABINS WERE INSTALLED ON THE MANHATTAN BEACH DIVISION.

OCTOBER 18, 1918 EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 88


NO   CABIN   WAS   LOCATED   EAST   OF   NEW   LOTS   ROAD.




IN THE DISTANCE CAN BE SEEN THE B.R.T. CANARSIE LINE STATION AT NEW LOTS ROAD.


THERE WAS NO BLOCK SIGNAL SYSTEM IN EFFECT ON THE MANHATTAN BEACH DIVISION AT THIS TIME.



IN 1925 NEW LOTS CLASSIFICATION YARD WAS BEING
BUILT AND NO CABIN WAS MOVED TO EAST 92ND STREET.
HENRY WILHELM'S MAP SHOWS THE CABIN AND TOWER.


NEW   LOTS   CLASSIFICATION   YARD


NO   CABIN   WAS   MOVED   TO   EAST   92ND   STREET








IN MAY 1927 THE BRANCH WAS BEING ELECTRIFIED.   THE FOUR CABINS WERE STILL IN SERVICE.

MAY 18, 1927 EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 106


BY OCTOBER 1927 TOWERS HAD REPLACED CABINS AT FN AND NO AND KN CABIN HAD BEEN REMOVED.

OCTOBER 19, 1927 EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 107


NO CABIN WAS REPLACED BY A BRICK TOWER WITH A 23 LEVER UNION
MODEL 14 MACHINE AND ELECTRO - PNEUMATIC INTERLOCKING.






AT THE FAR RIGHT IS THE CONTROL PANEL FOR ENERGIZING
AND KILLING INDIVIDUAL SECTIONS OF CATENARY.




BY MAY 23, 1928 NU TOWER HAD REPLACED NU CABIN AND
MANUAL BLOCK RULES WERE IN EFFECT BETWEEN FN AND NU.

FROM EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 108




BY JUNE 16, 1929 AUTOMATIC SIGNALS HAD BEEN INSTALLED BETWEEN DF AND NO TOWERS.

FROM EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 110


IN   1933   THE   SWITCHES   WERE   MADE   HAND   THROWN   AND   THE   TOWER   WAS   CLOSED.
AUTOMATIC   SIGNALS   WERE   REMOVED   AND   MANUAL   BLOCK   RE-INSTITUTED.

GENERAL   ORDER   117-4


IN   1938   THE   ABANDONED   TOWER   STILL   STOOD.




IN   1985   THIS   SIGNAL   CASE   AND   CATENARY   POLE   FOUNDATION   REMAINED.



go to ---->  KN   CABIN   PAGE


go to ---->  FN   CABIN   -   TOWER


go to ---->  NU   CABIN   -   TOWER


return to ---->  HOME   PAGE