ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





Copyright 2001-2007 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   and   ARRT




IN APRIL 1998 A SUPPLEMENT TO SUNDAY NEWSDAY WAS PAID FOR BY THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD AND ALLEGEDLY DESCRIBED THE RAILROAD'S HISTORY.   ON THE COVER WAS A PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY ART ON OCTOBER 16, 1955 SHOWING THE VERY LAST STEAM TRAIN ON THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD PRIOR TO ITS DEPARTURE FROM PORT JEFFERSON.   THE PHOTO WAS CREDITED TO THE NASSAU COUNTY MUSEUM COLLECTION,   LONG ISLAND STUDIES INSTITUTE.   A REPRESENTATIVE OF NEWSDAY OBTAINED THE PHOTOGRAPH - WHICH WAS MOUNTED ON A BOARD WITH "PHOTO BY A. HUNEKE" ON THE FRONT! - FOR PUBLICATION.   AFTER ART NOTIFIED NEWSDAY AND THE RAILROAD AND WITH FULL KNOWLEDGE THAT ART,   A RETIRED LONG ISLAND RAILROADER HAD TAKEN THE PICTURE,   THE RAILROAD MAILED THE SUPPLEMENT TO EVERY EMPLOYE AND RETIREE WITH AN ACCOMPANYING LETTER OVER THE SIGNATURE OF PRESIDENT PRENDERGAST - ART WAS AGAIN NOT GIVEN CREDIT.


FOLLOWING IS A DISSECTION OF THE SUPPLEMENT WHICH WAS PUT TOGETHER BY A WOMAN HIRED FOR THE PURPOSE.   INSTEAD OF HIRING VINCENT SEYFRIED OR RON ZIEL - OR ONE OF A NUMBER OF EMPLOYES WHO COULD HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB - THEY GAVE THE PROJECT TO SOMEONE WHO KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THE RAILROAD.   AND THE SUPPLEMENT PROVES THAT.





SIT BACK AND BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE


ON PAGE TWO THE SUPPLEMENT FEATURED THIS PHOTOGRAPH


THE YOUNG MAN IN THE CENTER IS DICK KELLY.   IN 1988 THE 75th ANNIVERSARY OF JAMAICA STATION WAS ACKNOWLEDGED WITH A NEWSPAPER STYLE PUBLICATION AND SOME CELEBRATION.   DICK KELLY WAS INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FESTIVITIES AND HE WAS PHOTOGRAPHED.   ART LOANED THE RAILROAD THIS PHOTOGRAPH (AND HAD INTRODUCED THE REGIME TO DICK KELLY) WHICH WAS PRINTED WITH PROPER CREDIT TO ART.

IN 1998 THE PHOTO WAS USED AGAIN WITH
NO CREDIT AND NOT EVEN IDENTIFYING KELLY!.



ON PAGE ONE SHE INFORMS US THAT THE RAILROAD LAID ITS FIRST TRACKS IN 1834 AND RAN ITS FIRST TRAIN IN 1836. TWO YEARS OF TRACK WITH NO TRAINS? IN JULY OF 1834 THE CITY OF BROOKLYN GAVE THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA RAILROAD THE RIGHT TO LAY ITS TRACKS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PROPOSED ATLANTIC STREET WHICH STREET OPENED IN APRIL 1835. PERHAPS THE RAILS WERE LAID IN JAMAICA OR EAST NEW YORK.



PETTY MISTAKES - ON A SPRING DAY IN 1844 THE 1st TRIP TO GREENPORT WAS MADE. WASN'T IT JULY? IT BEGAN AS A MEANS TO TRAVEL FROM BROOKLYN TO BOSTON? BROOKLYN WAS A STOP BETWEEN WASHINGTON D.C. AND BOSTON







AFTER 1850?   REALLY!




NO COMMENT NECESSARY





TOTALLY   INANE!




AUSTIN CORBIN BECAME PRESIDENT OF THE LONG ISLAND OCTOBER 17, 1881




TRAINS BEGAN RUNNING FROM JAMAICA (ORIGINATING IN LONG ISLAND CITY) TO BRIDGEHAMPTON AND SAG HARBOR IN 1870.   THIS NEW CONNECTION ALLOWED THEM TO BE RUN THROUGH BABYLON AND PATCHOGUE.




TRAIN SERVICE BEGAN IN APRIL 1836.
SHE INFORMS US THAT A STATION WAS BUILT IN JAMAICA IN 1832
AND THE FIRST RAILS WERE LAID IN 1834.   RIGHT!




THIS IMPLIES THAT THE FIRST FARMINGDALE STATION WAS BUILT IN 1875.
FARMINGDALE WAS A STATION AT LEAST AS EARLY AS 1842.




ORIGINALLY THREE DEPOTS?   THE LONG ISLAND'S WAS BUILT IN 1839.
THE NEW YORK & HEMPSTEAD'S AND CENTRAL RAILROAD'S IN THE 1870'S.
AND THE PRESENT STATION IS TWO OR THREE BLOCKS NORTH OF THE CENTRAL'S.

go   to   HEMPSTEAD   STATION




TO TAKE A TRAIN FROM LONG ISLAND CITY TO OAKDALE IN 1870 ONE WOULD HAVE TO GET OFF THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD TRAIN AT JAMAICA,   WALK TO THE SOUTH SIDE RAILROAD'S DEPOT,   AND GET ON A TRAIN WHICH HAD ORIGINATED AT SOUTH EIGHTH STREET IN BROOKLYN AND RECEIVED A ROAD ENGINE AT BUSHWICK.




FERRIES AND THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE LINKED MANHATTAN AND
BROOKLYN BUT THE LONG ISLAND RAN TO LONG ISLAND CITY
WHICH WAS ALSO LINKED TO MANHATTAN BY FERRIES.




IT WAS JUNE 30, 1899

CLICK   HERE




SAID TO?   WAS IT ONLY A RUMOR?
AND HE WAS FORMER PRESIDENT






THE RAILROAD MUSEUM OF LONG ISLAND OCCUPIES THE BRICK FREIGHT HOUSE
A MARITIME MUSEUM THE PASSENGER STATION.




THE STATION WAS BUILT BY THE CENTRAL
RAILROAD OF LONG ISLAND AND OPENED IN 1873.




WAS IT A "NATIONAL CEMETERY" IN 1904?   DON'T THINK SO!

FORTY YEARS AGO WE WERE TOLD THAT THE RAILROAD NEVER USED THE LARGE STATION BUT CONTINUED TO USE THEIR SMALL FRAME "PINELAWN-MELVILLE" STATION WHICH WAS AT WELLWOOD AVENUE.   IN 1915 IT WAS MOVED OR REPLACED BY ANOTHER FRAME STATION EAST OF THE CROSSING AND SOUTH OF THE TRACK.

go   to     PINELAWN   -   MELVILLE   STATION




GRUMMAN, REPUBLIC AND LIBERTY AIRCRAFT HAD SIDINGS FOR THE DELIVERY OF COAL AND MATERIAL AND FOR SHIPPING PARTS AND ANY PLANES THAT WERE NOT FLOWN OUT.   GRUMMAN AND REPUBLIC ALSO HAD PASSENGER STATIONS.




THREE DOUBLE-DECKERS WERE RUNNING BY 1937




THE FIFTY DOUBLE-DECKERS BUILT IN 1947 AND 1948 WERE AIR CONDITIONED




THE FINAL RUN WAS OCTOBER 16, 1955.   AND IT WAS OFFICIAL!


go   to     THE   DAY   THE   MUSIC   DIED




FLATBUSH AVENUE TERMINAL OPENED IN 1877.   THE UNDERGROUND TERMINAL
OPENED IN JULY, 1905.   THE BRICK PASSENGER STATION OPENED IN 1907.




THE FIRST ELECTRIC TRAINS RAN TO ROCKAWAY PARK IN JULY VIA THE ROCKAWAY BEACH DIVISION.   ELECTRIC SERVICE BETWEEN HAMMEL AND FAR ROCKAWAY BEGAN IN DECEMBER, 1905 AND WAS CONTINUED ON TO VALLEY STREAM BY DECEMBER 11.   THAT IS THE FAR ROCKAWAY BRANCH.




CLICK   HERE






return   to   HOME   PAGE


RETURN TO TOP


cds