ARRT'S   ARRCHIVES





Copyright © 2001 - 2008 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


1905   -   ELECTRIFICATION   -  2005
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD
RAPID   TRANSIT   -   SUBURBAN   SERVICE



ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - AUGUST 29, 1905 - THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD BEGAN ELECTRIC TRAIN SERVICE BETWEEN FLATBUSH AVENUE TERMINAL BROOKLYN AND ROCKAWAY JUNCTION   - ENTIRELY ELIMINATING THE STEAM RAPID TRANSIT SERVICE.


THESE ARE THE STATIONS SHOWN IN EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 36 OF SEPTEMBER 20, 1905


WOODHAVEN   JUNCTION   STATION

LOOKING   WEST



CLARENCEVILLE   STATION




MORRIS   PARK   STATION


WITH EASTBOUND TRAIN OF MP41s AND LOW PLATFORMS



1910   VIEW   LOOKING   EAST   COURTESY   LEAH   AND   ROGER   McENERY
THANKS   LEAH   AND   ROGER!




MORRIS   PARK   STATION

WITH WESTBOUND TRAIN OF MP41s AND HIGH PLATFORMS



MORRIS   PARK   STATION   LOOKING   EAST

MORRIS PARK SHOPS BUILDINGS AND SMOKESTACKS VISIBLE IN DISTANCE.



SIGNAL   STATION   NUMBER   67   -   LATER   "MP"

UNDERGROUND CONDUITS FOR THE HIGH TENSION POWER LINES ARE BEING INSTALLED



MORRIS   PARK   YARD

LOOKING   WEST   IN   1908



DUNTON   STATION   LOOKING   EAST


THE GRADE CROSSING IS VAN WYCK AVENUE - MANY OF THE TRAINS SERVING DUNTON MADE "f" STOPS   -   "STOP ON SIGNAL TO LAND OR RECEIVE PASSENGERS".     THE SHORT SEMAPHORE SIGNALS AT EACH END OF THE STATION PLATFORM ARE FLAG STATION SIGNALS OPERATED BY PASSENGERS.


FLAG   STATION   SIGNAL



REAL   ESTATE   DEVLOPER'S   FREE   TRANSPORTATION
OFFERED   TO   POTENTIAL   BUYERS
 


DIVISION   STREET   TOWER   AND   JAMAICA   STATION

OLDER AND MORE RECENT PHOTOGRAPHS OF THIS TOWER SHOW NO CALL LETTERS SIGN.
THE SIGNALS ARE PNEUMATIC AND ARE CONTROLLED FROM TOWER NUMBER   15   -   "JT".
NOTICE THE MP41 TRAIN WITH WOODEN TRAILER CARS.




UNTIL JUNE 1906 THE SWITCHES AT THE EAST END OF JAMAICA STATION WERE HAND OPERATED BY SWITCHMEN - EVEN THE DOUBLE SLIP SWITCHES WITH MOVABLE POINT FROGS.   AT THE LEFT ARE A GAS HOUSE AND GAS STORAGE CAR FOR SUPPLYING GAS LIGHTED PASSENGER CARS.



LOOKING WEST FROM "JE" TOWER - ORIGINALLY THE SECOND TOWER NUMBER 41

THIS WAS AN ALL-ELECTRIC INTERLOCKING.   THE LOCOMOTIVE APPEARS TO
BE WELL PAST THE SIGNAL AND THE FOULING POINT OF THE CONNECTING
TRACK BUT THE SEMAPHORE STILL INDICATES "PROCEED".



NEW YORK AVENUE GRADE CROSSING AND TOWER NUMBER 41

LOOKING EAST CIRCA 1900   -   THE SIX CAR TRAIN IS EASTWARD ON THE MONTAUK DIVISION.
APPROACHING IS A FORNEY POWERED "RAPID TRANSIT".
THIS WAS THE LAYOUT FROM 1903 UNTIL JUNE   1906

PHOTOGRAPH BY JOHN TOOKER                



ROCKAWAY   JUNCTION

SUB-STATION NUMBER FOUR AND "RJ" TOWER'S
EASTWARD HOME SIGNALS FROM BRENTON AVENUE.




LOOKING WEST FROM THE MONTAUK DIVISION IN 1903
  -   "RJ" WAS A MECHANICAL INTERLOCKING.




ROCKAWAY   JUNCTION   STATION   IN   1896


THE FIREMAN ON THE RAPID TRANSIT'S FORNEY WAS JOHN TOOKER WHO WAS INTERESTED IN
RAILROAD HISTORY AND PHOTOGRAPHY.   BILL SLADE AND JOHN CORRESPONDED FOR YEARS.




"RJ" TOWER - FORMERLY NUMBER 42 - BUILT IN 1895



IN 1906 AN ALL-ELECTRIC INTERLOCKING WAS INSTALLED

WHEN THIS PLAN WAS REVISED IN 1913 THE SWITCHES WERE STILL PROTECTED
BY DETECTOR BARS   -   TRACK CIRCUITS HAD NOT YET BEEN INSTALLED.



Continued on ---->   ELECTRIFICATION   TO   BELMONT   PARK   AND   THE   SUBURBAN   SERVICE


Return to ---->   PART   ONE   -
FLATBUSH   AVENUE   TERMINAL   TO   WOODHAVEN   JUNCTION



Return to ----> HOME     PAGE