ARRT'S   ARRCHIVES





Copyright © 2016 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED



ONE   HUNDRED   YEARS

THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD

1905   -   ELECTRIFICATION   -  2005




ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - JULY 26, 1905 - THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD BEGAN ELECTRIC TRAIN SERVICE BETWEEN FLATBUSH AVENUE TERMINAL BROOKLYN AND ROCKAWAY PARK - THE FIRST MAIN LINE ELECTRIFICATION AND THE FIRST USE OF STEEL CARS BY A CLASS ONE STEAM RAILROAD.




THIS WAS THE DEGREE OF COMPLETION OF THE UNDERGROUND FLATBUSH AVENUE TERMINAL WHEN ELECTRIC TRAINS BEGAN USING TRACKS ONE, TWO AND THREE.


A TRAIN OF BRAND NEW MP41'S OCCUPIES TRACK THREE (FIVE ON EARLY PLANS)
AS WORK PROGRESSES ABOVE TRACK FOUR (SIX ON EARLY PLANS)


TRACK ONE,   TRACK TWO AT LEFT.   UNTIL 1909 OR 1910 THERE WAS NO
PLATFORM BETWEEN THESE TRACKS AND THEY EXTENDED FURTHER WEST.


THE MP41 WAS BASICALLY AN I.R.T. MOTOR EQUIPPED WITH STEPS FOR LOW PLATFORM
STATIONS.   BEING NARROWER THAN THE STEAM LINE EQUIPMENT AND LATER MP54S
THEIR TRAPDOORS WERE ADJUSTABLE AND WOULD BE PUSHED OUTWARD TO CLOSE
THE GAP AT HIGH PLATFORM STATIONS WHERE NECESSARY.


PROVISION WAS MADE FOR ADDING A CENTER DOOR ON
EACH SIDE WHERE THE FACING SEATS WERE LOCATED


THESE ARE THE STATIONS SHOWN IN EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 36 OF SEPTEMBER 20, 1905






BEDFORD STATION IS LISTED AS IT WAS USED BY STEAM TRAINS UNTIL COMPLETE ELECTRIFICATION IN NOVEMBER.   NORWOOD AVENUE HAD BEEN A RAPID TRANSIT STATION UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1899 AND A PLACE WHERE TRAINS IN THE SAME DIRECTION PASSED UNTIL MID 1903.   THERE WERE A SERIES OF CROSSOVERS AND SWITCHES AND APPARENTLY AN OPERATOR AS ALL TRAIN TIMES ARE SHOWN.   IT WAS PROBABLY SIGNAL STATION 64.


THESE ARE THE STATIONS SHOWN IN EMPLOYE TIME TABLE NUMBER 37 OF NOVEMBER 5, 1905


FIRST STOP - NOSTRAND AVENUE


WHEN THE SHORT TUNNEL WEST OF EAST NEW YORK OPENED IN 1904 MANUAL BLOCK RULES WERE IN EFFECT THROUGH THE TUNNEL.
THERE WERE SIGNAL STATIONS AT EACH END - RALPH AVENUE AND STONE AVENUE.   COLOR LIGHT AUTOMATIC SIGNALS WERE PUT INTO SERVICE IN 1906.


EAST NEW YORK STATION IN 1912

THE OVERHEAD TOWER - SIGNAL STATION 63, LATER "NO" - PROTECTED
THE CROSSING AT GRADE OF THE MANHATTAN BEACH DIVISION





WARWICK STREET STATION


CHESTNUT STREET JUNCTION


THE CONNECTION FROM THE B.R.T. ELEVATED ON JAMAICA AVENUE


SIGNAL STATION 65 - CN TOWER - AND RAILROAD AVENUE STATION.


BEFORE ELECTRIFICATION THE SWITCHES AND SIGNALS WERE OPERATED FROM A LARGE CABIN ON THE GROUND.
WITH ELECTRIFICATION AND THE ADDITION OF TWO LOCAL TRACKS AN ALL ELECTRIC INTERLOCKING WAS INSTALLED AND OPERATED FROM OVERHEAD TOWER NUMBER 65 - "CN".




UNION COURSE STATION


WOODHAVEN STATION




WOODHAVEN JUNCTION


JUNCTION WITH THE ROCKAWAY BEACH DIVISION




SUB - STATION   NUMBER   THREE   at   WOODHAVEN   JUNCTION

SS3 WAS THE LARGEST OF THE FIVE ORIGINAL SUB-STATIONS WITH ROOM FOR SIX 1500KV ROTARY CONVERTERS.   THREE PHASE ALTERNATING CURRENT AT 11000 VOLTS WAS SUPPLIED FROM THE LONG ISLAND CITY POWERHOUSE BY THE LATTICE STEEL POLES SEEN AT THE RIGHT.   FROM HERE IT WAS SENT EAST AND WEST IN CONDUITS AND SOUTH TO OZONE PARK ON STEEL POLES THENCE TO HAMMEL ON WOODEN POLES.   THE POLES OVER THE TRESTLE WERE CREOSOTE TREATED.



THESE ARE ROTARY CONVERTERS



Continued on ---->   PART   TWO


return to ----> HOME PAGE