ARRT'S     ARRCHIVES



Copyright © 2001-2010   Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

CENTRAL   RAIL   ROAD   OF   LONG   ISLAND
THE    STEWART    LINE
CENTRAL  RAIL  ROAD  EXTENSION  COMPANY  OF  LONG  ISLAND


LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   CENTRAL   EXTENSION

HEMPSTEAD   CROSSING   TO   CAMPS   BLACK   AND   MILLS

"HC"   TOWER   HEMPSTEAD   CROSSING







SPANISH   AMERICAN   WAR'S   CAMP   BLACK



DOUBLE ENDED SIDINGS 900 FEET LONG WERE INSTALLED AT EACH END OF CAMP
BLACK WITH A 400 FOOT SPUR OFF THE EAST SIDING.   AT TOWER NUMBER 105,
HEMPSTEAD CROSSING,   A NEW NORTHEAST LEG WAS ADDED TO THE WYE.

CAMP   BLACK   STATION



 



SEE   CAMP   WIKOFF   AT   MONTAUK   ----->   CAMP   WIKOFF

IN 1908 FIVE MILES OF TRACK EAST OF HEMPSTEAD CROSSING WERE ELECTRIFIED
WITH 11,000 VOLT A.C. CATENARY
        go to ----> 1908 AC ELECTRIFICATION


BLUEPRINT SHOWING U.S.GOVERNMENT SIDINGS OFF
HEMPSTEAD BRANCH NORTH OF HC AND MOTOR PARKWAY IN 1917.


TROLLEY CARS RAN FROM GARDEN CITY TO SALISBURY PLAINS (THEN MEADOW
BROOK) FROM 1915 UNTIL 1933 WHEN THEY WERE REPLACED WITH MP41's.

BEFORE   CHANGES   OF   1918


BLUEPRINT REVISED TO SHOW CAMP MILLS AND AVIATION
FIELD NUMBER 2 SIDINGS AND L. I. R. R. SIDINGS IN 1918.




WASHINGTON   STREET   GARDEN   CITY
TROLLEY PLATFORM AND LIGHT WERE STILL THERE IN 1973.


go to ----> MITCHEL FIELD - ARMED FORCES DAY


go to ----> 1930's PHOTOGRAPH OF MITCHEL FIELD



WORLD   WAR   ONE'S   CAMP   MILLS

ON JULY 28, 1917 TROLLEY SERVICE WAS CUT BACK TO CLINTON ROAD.


CLINTON   ROAD   STATION


ON FEBRUARY 17, 1918 SERVICE WAS RESTORED
TO JUST WEST OF THE HIGH PLATFORM AT AVIATION FIELD NO. 2.


ON FEBRUARY 26, 1918 THE THIRD RAIL WAS EXTENDED TO 300 FEET EAST OF THE HIGH PLATFORM.


ON APRIL 6, 1918 WEEKEND THROUGH SERVICE TO PENN STATION WAS INSTITUTED.


ON AUGUST 29, 1918 THE TROLLEY SIDING AT CLINTON ROAD WAS EXTENDED EAST
AND CONNECTED WITH THE TROLLEY SIDING AT AVIATION FIELD NO. 2....


.....GIVING THE TROLLEY CARS THEIR OWN TRACK.
SIDINGS HAD BEEN INSTALLED FOR AVIATION FIELD NO. 2.


ON SEPTEMBER 20 THE TROLLEY SIDING WAS EXTENDED WEST AND CONNECTED WITH THE EAST LEG OF
THE WYE AT HEMPSTEAD CROSSING. THE MAIN TRACK BECAME AN UNLOADING TRACK FOR CAMP MILLS.


C.R.4. SHOWS CAMP MILLS SIDINGS.


FORMER U.S.GOVERNMENT WAREHOUSES AT CAMP MILLS

LOOKING WEST FROM A&P STATION IN 1938




THIS ONE REMAINED INTO THE 1970s


FORMER U.S.GOVERNMENT Y.M.C.A. AT CAMP MILLS


1924 C.R.4. DOES NOT SHOW CAMP MILLS


AFTER THE WAR SERVICE WAS RESORED TO SALISBURY PLAINS.   IN 1927 THE TROLLEY CARS BEGAN CONNECTING
WITH TRAINS AT COUNTRY LIFE PRESS STATION USING A NEW TRACK WHICH DEADENDED BEHIND THE PLATFORM.


IN 1933 THE TROLLEY CARS WERE REPLACED WITH MP-41 MULTIPLE UNIT CARS.
AT FIRST TRAINS RAN WITH A SINGLE CAR. LATER TWO CARS WERE RUN.






WHEN "HC" TOWER WAS REPLACED BY "GARDEN" CABIN THIS TRACK WAS CONNECTED WITH
THE HEMPSTEAD BRANCH WITH A HAND THROWN SWITCH.     WILLIAM D. SLADE 1950 Photo.





IN   1950   MP54's   REPLACED   MP41's   ON   THE   SHUTTLE



RETURN TO TOP