ARRT'S     ARRCHIVES




Copyright � 2001-2018 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

MITCHEL     FIELD


FROM HAZELTON'S 1925 HISTORY "THE BOROUGHS OF BROOKLYN AND QUEENS, COUNTIES OF NASSAU AND SUFFOLK",

IN 1918 FIVE SIDINGS HAD BEEN INSTALLED FOR AVIATION FIELD NO. 2.


THE HIGH PLATFORM STATION CAN BE SEEN IN THE DISTANCE


IN 1919 THERE WERE AT LEAST NINE WAREHOUSES


IN 1919 THERE WERE AT LEAST NINE WAREHOUSES AND WESTBURY ROAD HAD BEEN CLOSED


BY 1919 WESTBURY ROAD HAD BEEN CLOSED


NEAR TOP ARE HANGARS AND RUNWAYS


THE   POST   HOSPITAL   JUST   WEST   (RIGHT)   OF   PREVIOUS   PHOTOGRAPH




THESE TWO ENLARGEMENTS SHOW THE POWER HOUSE AND ONE SHOWS THE COAL TRESTLE


FOUR UNITS OF NEW BASE HOUSING ARE UNDER CONSTRUCTION




LOTS   OF   U.S.   ARMY  (?)  BIPLANES.


CIRCA   1930   PHOTOGRAPH


THIS ENLARGEMENT SHOWS THE NAME "MITCHEL" IN LARGE LETTERS
ON LIGHT BACKGROUNDS ON THE ROOFS OF SIX BUILDINGS (HANGARS?)


DAVE KELLER SENDS ALONG THIS EARLY 1930'S PHOTO OF AN OCEAN ELECTRIC CAR PASSING NEW BASE HOUSING.
ONE OF THE LAST 1918 SIDINGS IS GONE AND MEN ARE REMOVING THE SWITCH.


.....MEN   ARE   REMOVING   THE   SWITCH.


THANKS     DAVE!


RETURN   TO   MITCHEL   FIELD ---->



return   to ----> HOME     PAGE