ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES






Copyright 2001-2011
Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


PRAIRIE   GRASS   FURNITURE   COMPANY
and       ATLAS   TERMINALS



FROM 1903 C.R.4. - AMERICAN   GRASS   TWINE   COMPANY   SWITCH


FROM   MAY   1904   EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE
".....will stop to land passengers and Express at American Grass Twine Works."
".....will stop to receive passengers and 1314 will make regular stop at American Grass Twine Works."


Two advertisements by American Grass Twine Company of New York,  NY
manufacturers of Crex Grass Rugs and Prairie Grass Furniture...
 

A 1905 BILL OF SALE FOR ITEMS SHIPPED VIA THE D. L. & W. TO CORTLANDT N. Y.


A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN GRASS TWINE COMPANY:

The logging industry had depleted its resources by the late 1880's and in the 1890's a new industry took its place. The vast low land prairies were covered by a luxurious growth of native wire grass. The American Grass Twine Company began harvesting this native grass for their factory in St. Paul which employed 700-800 people. The rugs and carpeting manufactured were similar to the Japanese matting and as a result of their being produced domestically were less expensive than those which were imported. The American grass Twine Company later became the Crex Carpeting Company of St. Paul. Camps number one, two, and three were located in Columbus township and 10,000 acres were included in the company's holdings. At one time, the camps employed 100 men and used 250 horses. The carpet company went into a decline after W.W.I and the land became tax delinquent. Many acres reverted to the state and later became part of what is now the Carlos Avery Game Preserve.

Visit CREX MEADOWS' WEBSITE ---->


FROM   NOVEMBER   1904   EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE
IT   IS   NOW   PRAIRIE   GRASS   FURNITURE   CO.   WORKS


FROM   SEPTEMBER   1908   EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE


FROM   1913   C.R.4.


EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE   NUMBER   73   OF   MAY   27   1914
LISTS   PRAIRIE   GRASS   WORKS   IN   THE   SCHEDULE   PAGES



FROM   SEPTEMBER   1915   EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE



IN   1916   THEY   OCCUPIED   A   ONE   STORY   BRICK   AND   FRAME   BUILDING
JUST   EAST   OF   THE   FOUR   STORY   BRICK   BUILDING   AT   DRY   HARBOR   ROAD.


NOTE   THE   SMALL   HIGH   PLATFORMS   FOR   BOTH   EASTWARD   AND   WESTWARD   TRACKS,
NO   DOUBT   FOR   LOADING   AND   UNLOADING   EXPRESS.   PRAIRIE   GRASS   BUILDING   IS   IDENTIFIED   AS
CREX   GRASS   FURNITURE   COMPANY




C.R.4.   FROM   1919


MAY   1923   EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE
IT'S   NOW   PRAIRIE   GRASS   WORKS



SEPTEMBER   1923   EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE   HAS   PRAIRIE   GRASS   WORKS
CROSSED   OUT   AND   REPLACED   BY   "ATLAS"


1924   C.R.4.   IDENTIFIES   PROPERTY   AS
"HEMMERDINGER   ESTATE   CORPORATION"
  AND   ONE   OF   THEIR   TENANTS   AS
"ATLAS   WASTE   MANUFACTURING   COMPANY"


THE   FOUR   STORY   BRICK   BUILDING   AT   DRY   HARBOR   ROAD
HAD   A   SIGN   IDENTIFYING   ATLAS   AS   A   TENANT


SEPTEMBER   27,   1925   REVISED   "RUNS   AND   INSTRUCTIONS"   FOR   EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE
NUMBER   102   OF   MAY   21   HAS   ONLY   FOUR   TRAINS   STOPPING   AT   ATLAS


EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE   NUMBER   105   FROM   OCTOBER   20,   1926
SHOWS   TRAIN   NUMBER   539   STOPPING   AT   DRY   HARBOR   ROAD
AND   NUMBERS   503   AND   558   STOPPING   AT   "GLENDALE   WELLS".




THIS   IS   THE   TRACK   ARRANGEMENT   IN   1930.
THE   CREX - PRAIRIE   GRASS   BUILDING   IS   STILL   THERE.


SUBSEQUENTLY   A   SWITCHBACK   AND   ADDITIONAL   SIDE   TRACKS   WERE   ADDED.
THE   CREX - PRAIRIE   GRASS   BUILDING   IS   GONE.




ONLY   A   SMALL   LOCOMOTIVE   COULD   NEGOTIATE   THE   CURVES.
ART   PHOTOGRAPHED   THIS   ATLAS   SWITCHER   IN   THE   SUMMER   OF   1958.


IN   AUGUST   1976   THIS   ENGINE   WAS   PHOTOGRAPHED   BY   BILL   MADDEN.


LOOKING EAST JANUARY 1971 - photo   by   RICHARD F. MAKSE - MANY   THANKS   DICK!
TRACKS   AT LEFT   WERE   ATLAS   TERMINAL



ON   SEPTEMBER   21,   2002   SAM   BERLINER   RECORDED   THESE   SCENES.


THE   LONG   SIDE   TRACK   AND   ALL   SWITCHES   ARE   GONE - PART   OF   THE
M.T.A.'S   DEVASTATION   OF   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   FREIGHT   SERVICE.


return   to ----> COOPER   AVENUE - DRY   HARBOR   ROAD