JAMAICASTATION2.html JAMAICASTATION2


ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





GOD   BLESS   AMERICA!

Copyright © 2013   Arthur   John   Huneke
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED


THE   BROOKLYN   &     JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY

JAMAICA       STATION       PART       TWO
THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND



"JA"   TOWER,   "JAMAICA   BLOCK",   ORIGINALLY   NUMBER   40   -   NUMBER   36   AFTER   1903.






THE   ENGINE   RUN  -  AROUND   TRACK

RAN   BETWEEN   JA   TOWER   ON   THE   MAIN   LINE   AND   MP   TOWER   ON   THE   ATLANTIC   BRANCH




A   STREET   CROSSED   THE   ENGINE   RUN   AROUND   TRACK


TOWER  NUMBER  67  LATER  "MP"  ON  THE  ATLANTIC  BRANCH  AT  EAST  END  OF  MORRIS  PARK  SHOPS.


SOUTH   END   OF   ENGINE   RUN   AROUND   TRACK


"SHOPS"     STATION    FOR     EMPLOYES    


THE RAILROAD PURCHASED PROPERTY NORTH OF THE MAIN TRACKS AND IN 1899 BUILT A NEW FREIGHT YARD


LOOKING NORTHEAST ACROSS VAN WYCK AVENUE AND PAST DUNTON STATION




THIS FREIGHT HOUSE WAS NEAR JAMAICA AVENUE,   NORTH OF THE NEW YARD


TOWER   NUMBER   15   -   JAMAICA     AIR     TOWER   -   "JT"   TOWER

THE RAILROAD'S FIRST POWER INTERLOCKING WAS INSTALLED IN 1899 AT THE WEST END OF JAMAICA   STATION,   A "STRAIGHT AIR" SETUP AS OPPOSED TO THE LATER ELECTRO-PNEUMATIC INTERLOCKINGS.








IN 1903 JAMAICA STATION WAS WIDENED TO SIX TRACKS WITH FOUR ISLAND PLATFORMS.
THE RIGHT OF WAY EAST OF THE STATION WAS WIDENED AND NEW OVERHEAD BRIDGES
REPLACED THE OLD ONES AT PROSPECT, WASHINGTON AND UNION HALL STREETS.


IN 1903 OR 1904 JOHN TOOKER PHOTOGRAPHED NEW YORK AVENUE CROSSING AND TOWER


ON AUGUST 29, 1905 ELECTRIFICATION WAS EXTENDED THROUGH JAMAICA


UNTIL JUNE 1906 THE SWITCHES AT THE EAST END OF JAMAICA STATION WERE HAND
OPERATED BY SWITCHMEN - EVEN THE DOUBLE SLIP SWITCHES WITH MOVABLE POINT FROGS.
AT THE LEFT ARE A GAS HOUSE AND GAS STORAGE CAR FOR SUPPLYING GAS LIGHTED PASSENGER CARS.
WE BELIEVE THAT THE CABIN IN THE CENTER OF THE PHOTO WAS "CABIN ONE".


SMITH   STREET   BRIDGE   SIGNAL   STATION

A TEMPORARY SIGNAL STATION WAS PLACED ON THE SIGNAL BRIDGE AT SMITH STREET AND THE
AUTOMATIC SIGNALS WERE REMOVED FROM SERVICE,   PROBABLY IN 1905 (A JOB WAS ADVERTISED
OCTOBER 25, 1905).   IT BLOCKED TRAINS WITH CABIN ONE,   JAMAICA STATION AND "RJ" TOWER,
ROCKAWAY JUNCTION.   UNDOUBTEDLY TOWER 41 WAS CLOSED AT THE TIME THE AUTOMATIC
SIGNALS WERE INSTALLED,   PROBABLY IN 1904.   THESE PHOTOS ARE FROM 1929.





EAST   END   OF   JAMAICA   STATION
THE   SECOND   TOWER   NUMBER   41   -   THE   FIRST   "JE"   TOWER








A ONE STORY EXTENSION WAS ADDED ON THE TOWER'S EAST SIDE








TAKEN   FROM   JE   TOWER   CIRCA   1910



Go   to   ----->   JAMAICA       STATION       PART       THREE       1880'S       CHANGES


Return   to   ----->   JAMAICA       STATION       PART       ONE


GO   TO   ----->   THE   JAMAICA   ELIMINATION   -   THE   FIRST   STEPS


Return   to   ----->   BROOKLYN   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD