ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES




Copyright 2001-2012 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


THE   BROOKLYN   &     JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY

JAMAICA       STATION       PART       ONE
THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND




THE     FIRST     TRAIN


FROM   THE   NEW   YORK   AMERICAN   FRIDAY   APRIL   29   1836







THIS MAY 1837 LETTER GIVES A DIFFERENT DATE FOR BREAKING GROUND AT JAMAICA



ON  MARCH  1,  1837  SERVICE  BEGAN  TO  HICKSVILLE







THE   RAILROAD   WAS   IN   A   CUT   -   FOUR   OVERHEAD   HIGHWAY   BRIDGES   WERE   INSTALLED


IN   1853   THERE   WAS   A   STATION   AT   CANAL   STREET   JAMAICA


LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   STATION   IN   1870

PHOTOGRAPHED   FROM   THE   BEAVER   STREET   BRIDGE




JAMAICA   IN   1873


SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   JAMAICA   STATION



AFTER THE MERGER OF THE COMPETING LINES THE SOUTH SIDE RAILROAD'S
STATION WAS MOVED AND PLACED WEST OF THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD STATION.
THAT   IS   THE   BEAVER   STREET   BRIDGE   IN   THE   DISTANCE


JAMAICA       STATION       IN       1880's



IN 1890 RAPID TRANSIT SERVICE WAS EXTENDED TO ROCKAWAY JUNCTION AND THIRD
AND FOURTH TRACKS WERE PUT IN BETWEEN NEW YORK AVENUE AND ROCKAWAY JUNCTION.
THERE WERE RAPID TRANSIT STATIONS AT NEW YORK AVENUE AND CANAL STREET.



A TOWER AND INTERLOCKING WERE INSTALLED AT NEW YORK AVENUE IN 1890.
BY 1894 WHEN MANUAL BLOCK RULES WERE PUT IN EFFECT THE TOWER WAS NUMBER 41.



SEPTEMBER   1897   W. E.   CASE   PHOTO


1899   PHOTO   -   THE SWITCH TO THE INDUSTRY AND A BUILDING ARE GONE.


IN   JULY   1886   PERMISSION   WAS   GRANTED   TO   CLOSE   THE   BEAVER   STREET   BRIDGE.
IN 1892 - 1893 A NEW PLATFORM AND WAITING ROOM FOR BROOKLYN PASSENGERS WERE ADDED MAKING FOUR STATION TRACKS.   SHORTLY THEREAFTER THE BEAVER STREET BRIDGE WAS REMOVED.   THE RAILROAD BOUGHT THE NECESSARY PROPERTY AND INCREASED THE SIZE OF THE YARD,   MOVED THE TURNTABLE AND BUILT A DOUBLE WATER TOWER ON THE NORTH SIDE.





AFTER THE BEAVER STREET BRIDGE WAS REMOVED,   THE RAILROAD BOUGHT
THE NECESSARY PROPERTY AND INCREASED THE SIZE OF THE YARD,   MOVED
THE TURNTABLE AND BUILT A DOUBLE WATER TOWER ON THE NORTH SIDE.


IN 1892 - 1893 A NEW PLATFORM AND WAITING ROOM FOR BROOKLYN
PASSENGERS   WERE   ADDED   MAKING   FOUR   STATION   TRACKS.


THE   CROSSING   GATES   AT   DIVISION   STREET   WERE   OPERATED   FROM   A   TOWER.
THERE ARE MANY PHOTOGRAPHS OF DIVISION STREET TOWER SHOWING NO NUMBER OR CALL
LETTERS.   THIS MID DECEMBER 1908 VIEW SHOWS THE CALL "JS".   AN OLD TIMER EXPLAINED
THAT THE TOWER HAD ONE LEVER CONTROLLING A SIGNAL AT THE EAST END OF THE STATION.
A TOWER DEPARTMENT JOB ADVERTISEMENT FROM 1906 SHOWED IT AS "DIVISION STREET".
WE WERE TOLD THAT AT ONE TIME IT WAS TOWER NUMBER 40.



LOOKING   NORTH   ON   DIVISION   STREET


WEST OF JAMAICA STATION WAS A FREIGHT YARD SOUTH OF THE MAIN TRACKS.
IN   THE   DISTANCE   CAN   BE   SEEN   JAMAICA   CROSS   SWITCHES   TOWER.




NEAR   THE   YARD'S   WEST   END   WAS   JAMAICA   CROSS   SWITCHES,
THE   JUNCTION   OF   THE   MAIN   LINE,   MONTAUK   DIVISION   AND   ATLANTIC   DIVISION.   IN   1886
A   TOWER   WAS   ERECTED   WITH   A   SAXBY   AND   FARMER   48   LEVER   INTERLOCKING   MACHINE.



JAMAICA   CROSS   SWITCHES   TOWER,   NUMBER   14,   LATER   "AC".



LOOKING WEST TOWARD DUNTON STATION AND VAN WYCK AVENUE GRADE CROSSING.
IN   THE   DISTANCE   AT   RIGHT   IS   JA   TOWER.


CONTINUED ON PART TWO BELOW

Go   to   ----->   JAMAICA   STATION   PART   TWO


Return   to   ----->   BROOKLYN   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD


Return   to   ----->   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD