ARRT'S     ARRCHIVES




Copyright © 2001-2016 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THE   L. I. R.  R. 'S   FOUR   BATTERY   CARS

Revised   JANUARY - FEBRUARY 2016

BATTERY CAR NUMBER 1 WAS BUILT BY THE FEDERAL STORAGE BATTERY COMPANY
IN 1911 AND RAN BETWEEN FRESH POND (BUSHWICK JUNCTION) AND BUSHWICK.

FROM JULY 1, 1914 ROSTER - TWO BATTERY CARS, 1 AND 1A.




BATTERY   CAR   1   HAD   HAND   BRAKES   AND   A   COPPER   HOT   WATER   HEATER


BATTERY CAR 1A IS A MYSTERY - IT MAY HAVE BEEN AN OLDER CAR SENT HERE TO BE USED ON THE
VALLEY STREAM - MINEOLA LINE (NEW YORK BAY EXTENSION) UNTIL COMPLETION OF NUMBERS 2 AND 4.

THE BATTERIES OF CARS 1 AND 1A WERE CHARGED FROM A TRACKSIDE APPARATUS VIA JUMPER CABLES



1914 ANNUAL REPORT SHOWS TWO CARS ACQUIRED IN 1914 MAKING A TOTAL OF FOUR .


CARS 2 AND 4 WHICH RAN BETWEEN VALLEY STREAM AND MINEOLA WERE BUILT IN 1914 BY FEDERAL STORAGE BATTERY COMPANY.

THEIR BATTERIES WERE CHARGED VIA JUMPER CABLES AT VALLEY STREAM OR - AFTER 1922 - FROM THE THIRD RAIL.



BATTERY  CARS   2,   A  COMBINE,   AND   4  ON  THE  NEW  YORK  BAY  EXTENSION  CIRCA   1920   -   FELIX   REIFSCHNEIDER   PHOTO


CARS   2   AND   4   AT   MINEOLA


THE 7.3 MILE RUN TOOK 23 MINUTES WITH SEVEN INTERMEDIATE STOPS.
ACCORDING TO FELIX REIFSCHNEIDER PART OF THE ROUTE WAS EQUIPPED WITH THIRD
RAIL IN 1922 AND THE CARS WERE EQUIPPED WITH THIRD RAIL COLLECTION SHOES.


IN THIS PHOTO THE SOUTHBOUND CARS ARE CROSSING FRANKLIN AVENUE GARDEN CITY
AT ITS JUNCTION WITH MAIN AND SECOND STREETS.   THE THIRD RAIL SHOES AND THE
TROLLEY WIRE OF THE NEW YORK AND LONG ISLAND TRACTION COMPANY ARE VISIBLE




THE NEW YORK BAY EXTENSION WAS ELECTRIFIED IN 1926.   THIS PHOTO, COURTESY DAVE KELLER, WAS TAKEN IN SEPTEMBER 1926.






BATTERY CARS 2 AND 4 HAD COMPRESSORS AND AIR BRAKES AND WERE HEATED BY COAL STOVES





BATTERY CARS WERE REFERRED TO IN TRAIN ORDERS AS "MOTOR CAR".

















return to ----> HOME   PAGE