ARRT'S   ARRCHIVES





Copyright © 2001-2007 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


1925   -   EIGHTY   YEARS   -   2005
THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD
BABYLON   ELECTRIFICATION




BEFORE   ELECTRIFICATION
 


READ THIS AND CONSIDER HOW DIFFERENT THINGS WERE ONLY FORTY YEARS LATER
 


COMPLETION OF THE ELECTRIFICATION TO BABYLON WAS CELEBRATED MAY 20, 1925 WITH
A SPECIAL TRAIN FROM PENN STATION AND A GRAND CEREMONY IN BABYLON VILLAGE.








THE   HALF   MILLION   DOLLAR   SPECIAL














THE SPECIAL HAD FOURTEEN NEW MP54s FILLED WITH AMERICAN FLAG WAVING GUESTS

JAMES OSBORNE PHOTOGRAPH                  

ONE OF SIX NEW SUB-STATIONS - WEST OF BABYLON STATION

JAMES OSBORNE PHOTOGRAPH                  

MAIN STREET BABYLON LOOKING EAST

JAMES OSBORNE PHOTOGRAPH                  

HIGH LEVEL ISLAND PLATFORMS - CONSIDERED NECESSARY FOR THE RAPID TRANSFER OF PASSENGERS BETWEEN CONNECTING TRAIN - NOT DONE FORTY-EIGHT YEARS LATER WHEN THIRD RAIL WAS EXTENDED TO HUNTINGTON RESULTING IN WHAT OPERATING PEOPLE CALL THE "HUNTINGTON SHUFFLE" - AMONG OTHER THINGS

JAMES OSBORNE PHOTOGRAPH                  









JAMES OSBORNE PHOTOGRAPH                  

SUB - STATIONS

NEW  SUB - STATIONS  WERE  CONSTRUCTED  AT  LAURELTON,  LYNBROOK,  FREEPORT,  WANTAGH,  AMITYVILLE  AND  BABYLON.






 

 

 
 


 






BABYLON YARD IN 1920 - ELECTRIFICATION MADE THE ENGINEHOUSE UNNECESSARY
- LOCOMOTIVES WERE TURNED ON THE WYE UNTIL DIESELIZATION





OVER THE YEARS BABYLON YARD WAS INCREASED IN SIZE






THE CENTRAL BRANCH - LAST USED BY REGULAR PASSENGER TRAINS IN 1898 -
WAS REBUILT AND EXTENDED EAST INTO BABYLON STATION.
THE MONTAUK BRANCH TRACKS WERE MOVED SOUTH BY REVERSE CURVES






A NEW ELECTRO-PNEUMATIC INTERLOCKING AND BRICK TOWER WERE INSTALLED