ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES


GOD   BLESS   AMERICA!



Copyright   ©   2001   -   2013   Arthur   John   Huneke
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED


BRUSHVILLE   -   QUEENS   VILLAGE


ON   MARCH   1,   1837   SERVICE   BEGAN   TO   HICKSVILLE

FLUSHING   AVENUE   STATION   WAS   SHOWN   FOUR   MILES   EAST   OF   JAMAICA

FROM   AN   1837   NEWSPAPER   "BROOKLYN   ADVOCATE"


BY   OPENING   DAY,   MARCH   1   1937,   DE   LANCY   AVENUE
IS   SHOWN   AND   FLUSHING   AVENUE   IS   NOT.


FROM   MARCH   28   1837   NEW   YORK   TIMES



SCHEDULE   EFFECTIVE   MARCH   FIRST


WE   BELIEVE   THE   STATION   WAS   NEVER   NAMED   FLUSHING   AVENUE.





SCHEDULES   FROM   THE   LONG   ISLAND   STAR :

JULY   31,   1837   SHOWS   DE LANCEY   AVENUE;
SEPTEMBER   8,   1837   SHOWS   DE LANCEY   AVENUE



FLUSHING   AVENUE   AND/OR   DE LANCY   AVENUE   STATION   MAY   HAVE
BEEN   LOCATED   AT   THE   LATER   SPRINGFIELD   BOULEVARD   AS   SHOWN
ON   THIS   1837   MAP.       THE   STREET   RAN   FROM   SPRINGFIELD   TO
FLUSHING.     A   BUILDING   IS   SHOWN   IN   THE   SOUTHEAST   QUADRANT.



NOVEMBER   27,   1837   SCHEDULE   SHOWS   BRUSHVILLE
INSTEAD   OF   FLUSHING   AVENUE   -   DE LANCY   AVENUE




VINCENT   SEYFRIED   AND   WILLIAM   SLADE   BOTH   LOCATED
BRUSHVILLE   AS   JUST   WEST   OF   HEMPSTEAD   TURNPIKE


IN JUNE 1836 THOMAS BRUSH SOLD PROPERTY TO  THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD



THE   DIMENSIONS   WERE:     ON   THE


THE   PROPERTY   LAY   BETWEEN   HEMPSTEAD   TURNPIKE   AND   "A   HIGHWAY   LEADING   TO   THE   MAIN   COUNTRY   ROAD"   -   LATER   FIRST   AVENUE.


IN   1847   WALT   WHITMAN   WROTE:




IN   1852  -  1856   BRUSHVILLE   WAS   RENAMED   "QUEENS"


THIS   IS   AN   1860   MAP


IN   1868   THE   BROOKLYN   EAGLE   WROTE:
BRUSHVILLE IS BETTER KNOWN AS QUEENS.   IT IS A STATION ON THE LONG
ISLAND RAILROAD,   ABOUT MIDWAY BETWEEN JAMAICA AND HEMPSTEAD.
THE LITTLE VILLAGE CENTRES ABOUT BEN LANE'S HOTEL ......


BEN   LANE'S   HOTEL   SHOWS   ON   THE   1873   BEER'S   ATLAS




IN 1871 "INGLEWOOD" STATION WAS OPENED AT CREED AVENUE, SPRINGFIELD ROAD.
THE ESTATE OF COLONEL A. M. WOOD WAS NAMED "INGLEWOOD" AND WAS ON THE NORTH
SIDE OF JERICHO TURNPIKE ON THE WEST SIDE OF CREED AVENUE - SPRINGFIELD ROAD.
COLONEL WOOD WAS INVOLVED IN THE SALE OF LOTS HERE.
THIS BECAME THE PERMANENT LOCATION OF QUEENS STATION.

FROM THE BROOKLYN EAGLE
   



BRUSHVILLE PASSENGER STATION WAS RETAINED OR REOPENED AND WAS LISTED IN JUNE 1897.
IT MAY HAVE REMAINED AS BRUSHVILLE ROAD,   INTERSTATE PARK AND BELLAIRE.


THIS   IS   CONTRADICTED   BY   THIS   BROOKLYN   EAGLE   ARTICLE   FROM   1900



POSSIBLY   IT   REOPENED   IN   1897   AND   THE   FRAME
STATION   BUILDING   WAS   ERECTED   IN   1900

Go to ----> BRUSHVILLE   ROAD,   INTERSTATE   PARK   AND   BELLAIRE

QUEENS   STATION





SIGNAL   STATION   NUMBER   45   -   "QU"


THIRD TRACK DID NOT EXTEND WEST OF HERE UNTIL APRIL 1907.


IN 1924 THE GRADE CROSSINGS WERE ELIMINATED, THE TRACKS WERE
INCREASED TO FOUR, A NEW HIGH PLATFORM STATION AND BRICK
TOWER WITH AN ELECTRO-PNEUMATIC INTERLOCKING WERE ERECTED
AND THE NAME WAS CHANGED TO QUEENS VILLAGE.







Return to ----> CHRONOLOGICAL   HISTORY

return to ----> HOME   PAGE