ARRT'S     ARRCHIVES





THE   BROOKLYN   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD
THE     LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD
                    and             ATLANTIC     AVENUE                     PART   ONE


THE   BROOKLYN   AND   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   WAS   CHARTERED     TO   RUN   FROM   THE









ATLANTIC STREET ENDED JUST EAST OF FLATBUSH AVENUE.
THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA RIGHT OF WAY FROM HERE TO CLASSON AVENUE WAS
80 FEET WIDE.   (THE SOUTHERLY 80 FEET OF ATLANTIC AVENUE WHEN EXTENDED EAST)


 



THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD CHARTER CALLED FOR THE ROAD TO BE BUILT


A MAP ACCOMPANYING A NOTICE OF A JANUARY 1835 AUCTION OF PROPERTY
SHOWED BEDFORD AVENUE AND "THE PROPOSED ROUTE OF THE BRANCH RAILROAD
TO  THE  CONTEMPLATED   FERRY AT  THE  WALLABOUT"  IN  WILLIAMSBURGH.







IN FEBRUARY 1836 ONE OR MORE TRIAL RUNS WERE MADE BY THE
LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD.   SERVICE TO JAMAICA BEGAN APRIL 18, 1836.


GO   TO   ---->   THE   FIRST   TRAIN


ONE   OF   THE   FIRST   L. I. R. R.   STATIONS   WAS   UNION   COURSE   (RACE   TRACK   WHICH   HAD   OPENED   IN   1821)

go   to   ----->   UNION   COURSE


SIDNEY SCHAER'S ARTICLE IN NEWSDAY
DISCLOSED AN ACCIDENT WHICH DISRUPTED SERVICE ON MAY 3, 1836.
                       
           


THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA WAS LEASED TO THE LONG ISLAND


AS STEAM WAS NOT ALLOWED IN THE CITY OF BROOKLYN,   FROM 1836 UNTIL
1839 TRAINS WERE PULLED BY HORSES BETWEEN BROOKLYN AND BEDFORD.




ON  MARCH  1,  1837  SERVICE  BEGAN  TO  HICKSVILLE







THE   RAILROAD   WAS   IN   A   CUT   -   FOUR   OVERHEAD   HIGHWAY   BRIDGES   WERE   INSTALLED


WILLOW   TREE   STATION   WAS   PROVIDED   FOR


END   OF   THE     LINE


ON   THIS   FEBRUARY   24   1837   ANNOUNCEMENT   WESTBURY   HEMPSTEAD
STATION   IS   SHOWN.     BY   JUNE   IT   IS   CALLED   CARLE   PLACE.

GO   TO   ---->   CARLE   PLACE

FLUSHING   AVENUE   STATION   IS   SHOWN   FOUR   MILES   EAST   OF   JAMAICA


FROM AN 1837 NEWSPAPER "BROOKLYN ADVOCATE"




BY   OPENING   DAY,   MARCH   1   1837,   DE  LANCY   AVENUE
IS   SHOWN   AND   FLUSHING   AVENUE   IS   NOT.





WE   BELIEVE   THE   STATION   WAS   NEVER   NAMED   FLUSHING   AVENUE.

THE   AVENUE   AND   STATION   MAY   HAVE   BEEN   NAMED   FOR:   "Right   Reverend
William   Heathcote   DeLancey   (October   8,   1797     April   5,   1865)
the   son   of   John   Peter   DeLancey,   a   Revolutionary   War   soldier,   was
  a   bishop   of   the   Episcopal   Church   in   the   United   States   of   America."


THANKS   AGAIN   TO   WIKIPEDIA   ( WIKIPEDIA )   FOR
THIS   INFORMATION   ABOUT   THE   DELANCEY   FAMILY.


THE   1873   BEER'S   ATLAS   SHOWS   AN   EPISCOPAL   CHURCH   AND
FIRST   AVENUE   WHICH   MIGHT   HAVE   BEEN   DE  LANCY   AVENUE  




ALSO   SHOWN   IS   CLOWESVILLE
GO   TO   ---->   CLOWESVILLE

FROM   TWO   1837   NEW   YORK   TIMES



APRIL   10,   1837                                            JUNE   20,   1837
 


SCHEDULES   FROM   THE   LONG   ISLAND   STAR :

JULY   31,   AND   SEPTEMBER   8,   1837   TIME   TABLES   SHOW   DE LANCEY   AND   PENNSYL-
VANIA   AVENUES     -     AND   "CONNECTICUT   AVENUE"     INSTEAD     OF     UNION     COURSE.

1953   RESEARCH   BY   EDNA   HUNTINGTON,   LONG   ISLAND   HISTORICAL   SOCIETY
LIBRARIAN,   SHOWED   THAT   CONNECTICUT   AVENUE   BECAME   WOODHAVEN   BLVD.

ACTUALLY   IT   BECAME   FLUSHING   AVENUE,   TROTTING   COURSE   LANE,
WOODHAVEN   AVENUE   AND   THEN   WOODHAVEN   BOULEVARD.


CONNECTICUT   AVENUE   STATION   WAS   PROBABLY   THE   LATER
TROTTING   COURSE   LANE   AND   THEN   WOODHAVEN   STATION





NOVEMBER   27,   1837   SHOWS   BRUSHVILLE   INSTEAD   OF   FLUSHING   AVE.   -   DE LANCY   AVE.


GO   TO   BRUSHVILLE


THIS JUNE 1838 ARTICLE IMPLIES THAT STEAM MAY HAVE PULLED TRAINS BETWEEN HENRY STREET AND BEDFORD PRECEDED BY HORSE DRAWN CARS.   OR THE TRAINS WERE PRECEDED BY HORSE DRAWN CARS FOR SOME DISTANCE EAST OF BEDFORD.   A REGULAR HORSE CAR SERVICE WAS ESTABLISHED BETWEEN SOUTH FERRY AND BEDFORD.   THE LOCOMOTIVES WERE DISGUISED TO RESEMBLE HORSE CARS   -   DUMMY ENGINES.
THIS IS THE FIRST ARRT HAS EVER READ OF THIS ENTIRE OPERATION.




THE SAME JUNE 1838 NEWSPAPER SHOWS A CHANGE OF SCHEDULE




IN JULY 1839 THE NEW TRACK TO HEMPSTEAD WAS OPENED FROM
HEMPSTEAD BRANCH - LATER MINEOLA - TO A TERMINAL ON MAIN STREET


GO   TO   ---->   THE   HEMPSTEAD   BRANCH

FROM NOVEMBER 1839 UNTIL JULY 1844 STEAM
PULLED TRAINS BETWEEN HENRY STREET AND JAMAICA.




IN 1884 THE BABYLON SIGNAL INTERVIEWED JOHN ARESON WHO REMEMBERED THIS



 

ON   OCTOBER   14,   1841   THE   RAILROAD   OPENED   TO   FARMINGDALE

go   to   ----->   FARMINGDALE

Go   to ----> 1844 ANNUAL   REPORT

IN   1853   THERE   WAS   A   STATION   AT   CANAL   STREET   JAMAICA


BEDFORD

THIS MAP SHOWS THE PROPERTY OF THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA ON BOTH SIDES
OF THEIR RIGHT OF WAY.   THIS WAS THE TERMINUS FOR STEAM 1836 - 1839.   BY 1851
ATLANTIC STREET (AVENUE),   70 FEET WIDE,   HAD BEEN EXTENDED AS FAR AS CLASSON
AVENUE - IT THEN CURVED AND RAN INTO FULTON AVENUE.   (30 FEET OF THEIR RIGHT
OF WAY HAD BEEN CEDED BY THE BROOKLYN AND JAMAICA.)   SINCE THE 1860'S
IT HAS RUN PARALLEL WITH  PACIFIC STREET  FROM HERE TO EAST NEW YORK.


THIS MAP SHOWS THE PRIVATE RIGHT OF WAY OF THE BROOKLYN
AND JAMAICA BETWEEN SCHUYLER STREET AND HERKIMER STREET.
SCHUYLER  STREET WAS WIDENED TO BECOME  ATLANTIC  AVENUE.
ONE BLOCK OF THE RIGHT OF WAY BETWEEN BEDFORD AVENUE
AND NOSTRAND AVENUE REMAINS TODAY AS HERKIMER PLACE.




AFTER THE RAILROAD WAS EXPELLED AND
ATLANTIC AVENUE WAS EXTENDED TO THE CITY LINE.





Continued on ----> PART TWO:
THE TUNNEL;   SOUTH FERRY, THE TERMINAL AND THE BOATS;
U. S. MAIL SERVICE;   SCENE ALONG THE BROOKLYN & JAMAICA;
UNION COURSE RACE TRACK;



RETURN TO HOME PAGE