ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





GOD   BLESS   AMERICA!

Copyright © 2013   Arthur   John   Huneke
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED


THE     LONG     ISLAND     RAIL     ROAD     COMPANY
THE   NEW   YORK   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY
THE     MAIN    LINE     WEST     OF     JAMAICA


HEAD   OF   THE   FLY   -   HEAD   OF   THE   VLEIGH


In the 19th century the area of Kew Gardens Hills was known as Head of the Fly,[22] for its location
at the headwaters of the Flushing Creek (or Flushing River), Fly or vly, being the Dutch word for swamp.
One of the oldest roads through the area was called The Vleigh Road, and still exists today as Vleigh Place.[23]

click here for WIKIPEDIA ----->   THANKS   AGAIN   TO   WIKIPEDIA


                Brooklyn Eagle : 1857 Jun 27                   HEAD   OF   THE   FLY   IS   SHOWN   ON   THIS   1847   MAP

HEAD   OF   THE   FLY   IS   SHOWN   ON   THIS   1853   COLTON   MAP



HEAD   OF   THE   FLY   IS   SHOWN   ON   THIS   EARLY   1860'S   MAP



IN 1861 THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD WAS PAID BY THE CITY OF BROOKLYN
TO CLOSE ITS TUNNEL AND ABANDON SERVICE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS.
THE NEW YORK & JAMAICA RAIL ROAD COMPANY WAS CHARTERED SEPTEMBER 3,
1859 TO BUILD FROM JAMAICA TO HUNTERS POINT AND OPENED MAY 10, 1861


IT WAS THOUGHT THAT THE NEW YORK AND JAMAICA WOULD RUN
ADJACENT TO THE FLUSHING RAIL ROAD FROM WINFIELD TO HUNTERS POINT.

Brooklyn Eagle : 1859 Aug 08




INSTEAD THE N. Y. & J. R. R. CROSSED THE FLUSHING COMPANY CREATING
NEW YORK AND FLUSHING JUNCTION,   LATER CALLED WINFIELD JUNCTION.



Kevin Kinsella writes:
"Thought I'd send this in case of interest.
It's from the front page of "The Evening Post" of New
York, dated 15 May 1861.   Great website you have."



THANKS     KEVIN!


EMPLOYE   TIME   TABLE   NUMBER   32   OF   JUNE   6,   1861   DOES   NOT   SHOW   NEW   YORK
AND   FLUSHING   JUNCTION   OR   A   STATION   AT   WINFIELD   BUT   DOES   SHOW
NEWTOWN   STATION   ONE   AND   ONE   HALF   MILES   EAST   OF   WOODSIDE



SUNDAY   MILK   TRAIN   SCHEDULE   OF   JUNE   6,   1861   DOES   NOT   SHOW   NEW   YORK
AND   FLUSHING   JUNCTION   OR   A   STATION   AT   WINFIELD   BUT   DOES   SHOW
NEWTOWN   STATION   FIVE  MINUTES   EAST   OF   WOODSIDE

JUNE 6, 1861

THE MAY 11, 1861 AMERICAN RAILROAD JOURNAL REPORTED:
"ON THE SIXTH INST THE FREIGHT TRAINS COMMENCED RUNNING BETWEEN GREENPORT AND THE DEPOT AT HUNTERS POINT.   SINCE THAT DATE NO FREIGHT TRAIN HAS BEEN STARTED FROM THE SOUTH FERRY DEPOT,   AND NO FREIGHT HAS BEEN RECEIVED AT THAT POINT SINCE THE 4TH.   AN OFFICE HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED AT THE JAMES SLIP FERRY,   NEW YORK SIDE,   BOTH FOR THE RECEIPT AND DELIVERY OF FREIGHT.   PASSENGER TRAINS ALSO COMMENCED RUNNING TO AND FROM HUNTERS POINT ON THE 10TH.   HEREAFTER PASSENGERS FOR THE TRAINS WILL TAKE THE FERRY BOAT AT JAMES SLIP, OR AT 34TH STREET FOR HUNTERS POINT."


THIS LIST OF TICKETS SOLD AND 1862 PUBLIC TIME TABLE SHOW STATIONS AT WINFIELD
ONE MILE EAST OF WOODSIDE AND NEWTOWN,   ONE HALF MILE EAST OF WINFIELD





Return   to   ----->   BROOKLYN   &   JAMAICA   RAIL   ROAD   Part   3