ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES






Copyright © OCTOBER 18, 2006 Arthur John Huneke
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY
HUNTERS   POINT   -   LONG   ISLAND   CITY       PART   ONE
FERRY   SERVICE   -   STATIONS


HUNTERS   POINT   WAS   THE   WESTERN   TERMINAL   OF   THE   FLUSHING   RAIL   ROAD   WHICH   OPENED   JUNE   26,   1854.

Go   to   ---->   THE   FLUSHING   RAIL   ROAD

ON   MAY   10,   1861   HUNTERS   POINT  BECAME   THE
TERMINAL   OF   THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD.


BY 1873 THE FLUSHING, NORTH SHORE & CENTRAL
AND SOUTH SIDE RAILROADS HAD TERMINALS THERE.


Go   to   ---->   THE   FLUSHING   AND   NORTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD

Go   to   ---->   THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND


BY   1884   THE   COMPETING   RAILROADS   HAD   MERGED   AND   TRAINS
WERE   USING   THE   ENLARGED   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   STATION



THIS PHOTOGRAPH WAS TAKEN WITH A KODAK NUMBER ONE CAMERA ABOUT 1888 - 1890.



THIS   IS   FROM   THE   1891   ANNUAL REPORT




THIS   IS   FROM   AN   1891   ATLAS


THIS IS THE 1891 PASSENGER STATION AND OFFICE BUILDING


THE FERRY HOUSE AND 1891 STATION BEHIND THE STEAMBOAT "NASSAU"


THESE   ARE   1898   PHOTOS.


BORDEN   AVENUE


THE   FERRY   SERVICE

FERRY   TICKETS   AND   CHECKS







THIS IS A GREATLY ENLARGED PORTION OF A PHOTOGRAPH LOOKING NORTH ON FRONT STREET.   AT THE LEFT IS THE OVERHEAD STRUCTURE AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE FERRY.   IN THE DISTANCE ARE PASSENGER CARS.   THE FLUSHING & NORTH SIDE TERMINAL WAS RARELY USED AFTER THE COMPANIES WERE MERGED WITH THE LONG ISLAND.   PERHAPS IT WAS PRESSED INTO SERVICE DURING THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR WHEN THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN.   POSSIBLY THAT IS THE F.& N.S. STATION BUILDING BEYOND THE FERRY STRUCTURE.





          .






LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD'S   FERRY   "SOUTHAMPTON"


L.I.R.R.   MANHATTAN   FERRY   HOUSE
AND   ENTRANCE   TO   SECOND   AND   THIRD   AVENUE   ELS




BY 1903 THE TERMINAL HAD NO TRAIN SHEDS, HAD BEEN ENLARGED AND HAD TWO TURNTABLES AT THE EAST END.
IN 1903 - 04 THE TERMINAL WAS VASTLY ENLARGED AND THE TURNTABLES WERE REMOVED, REPLACED BY A NEW 70 FOOT TURNTABLE AT THE WEST END OF THE ENGINE YARD.



IN DECEMBER 1902 THE STATION BUILDING WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE.


THE STRUCTURE WAS REBUILT AND REOPENED IN APRIL, 1903.






THE   LONG   ISLAND   EXPRESS   COMPANY




Go   to   ---->   LONG  ISLAND  CITY  PART  TWO


return   to   ---->     HOME   PAGE