ARRT'S     ARRCHIVES




Copyright ©   2018   ARTHUR   JOHN   HUNEKE
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED





LONG   ISLAND   RAILROAD   PORTABLE   SUBSTATIONS




AT TIMES OF SEASONAL HEAVY TRAFFIC   -   RACING AT AQUEDUCT,   BELMONT PARK AND JAMAICA RACE TRACKS AND SUMMER SERVICE TO THE ROCKAWAYS AND LONG BEACH   -   IT WAS SOMETIMES NECESSARY TO SUPPLY ADDITIONAL POWER FOR TRAINS.

FOUR PORTABLE SUB-STATIONS WERE ACQUIRED AND PORTABLE SUB-STATION BUILDINGS WERE CONSTRUCTED AT SPRINGFIELD JUNCTION,   BELMONT PARK - LATER MOVED TO FLORAL PARK AND HEMPSTEAD CROSSING.






THIS PORTABLE SUB-STATION BUILDING WAS WEST OF CARNATION AVENUE FLORAL PARK.


SPRINGFIELD   JUNCTION


HEMPSTEAD CROSSING - LOOKING EAST FROM FRANKLIN AVENUE










UNTIL   1918   ONLY   TWO   WERE   REPORTED,   EACH   1000   KW   CAPACITY.
THE DECEMBER 28 1918 RAILWAY REVIEW DESCRIBED THE NEW 1500 KW CAR NUMBER THREE






BY   1925   THERE   WERE   FOUR   P.S.S.   CARS
LONG ISLAND RAILROAD INFORMATION BULLETIN JUNE 3 1925






PORTABLE   SUBSTATION   CARS   NUMBERS   ONE   AND   TWO   AT   BELMONT   PARK.


PORTABLE   SUBSTATION   CAR   NUMBER   TWO.


F. R. DIRKES PHOTOGRAPHED CARS NUMBERS THREE AND FOUR AT THE 1939 WORLD'S FAIR.


THE PORTABLE SUB STATIONS WERE MOVED FROM WANTAGH TO
THE 1964 - 1965 WORLD'S FAIR AND PHOTOGRAPHED BY DICK MAKSE




WE   BELIEVE   THIS   TO   BE   ISLAND   PARK


NUMBER   THREE   AT   WANTAGH   1957


NUMBERS   FOUR   AND   THREE   AT   WANTAGH   1957


WEST   HEMPSTEAD   1973






RETURN   TO   HOME   PAGE