ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





GOD   BLESS   AMERICA!

Copyright © 2005   -   2011   Arthur   John   Huneke
ALL   RIGHTS   RESERVED


LINDENHURST         STATION
THE   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY   OF   LONG   ISLAND
THE   LONG   ISLAND   RAIL   ROAD   COMPANY

ORIGINALLY   WELLWOOD       -       LATER   BRESLAU


PUBLIC   TIME   TABLE   OF   JANUARY   1,   1869
THE   STATION'S   NAME   WAS   "WELLWOOD".
 

PUBLIC   TIME   TABLE   OF   MAY   30,   1870
STATION   IS   NOW   "BRESLAU".







FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   WEDNESDAY   MAY   25,   1870

GO   TO   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   ON   LINE

 

FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   SATURDAY   JUNE   4,   1870




FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   TUESDAY   JUNE   7,   1870

(1)                                                                         (4)
     

(2)                                                                         (5)
               

(3)                                                                         (6)
               



LONG  ISLAND  RAIL  ROAD  CONDUCTOR  LOUIS  RINGHOUSE,  WHO  HAD  STARTED  WITH  THE
SOUTH  SIDE  RAIL  ROAD,  WAS  INTERVIEWED  BY  THE  BROOKLYN  DAILY  EAGLE  IN  1909
 

go   to   CONDUCTOR   LOUIS   RINGHOUSE

FROM   "SKETCHES   OF   SUFFOLK   COUNTY,   HISTORICAL
AND   DESCRIPTIVE"   BY   RICHARD   M.   BAYLES,   1873




BEHIND   THE   EASTBOUND   TRAIN   IS   NEHRINGS   HOTEL




FROM   "SKETCHES   OF   SUFFOLK   COUNTY,   HISTORICAL
AND   DESCRIPTIVE"   BY   RICHARD   M.   BAYLES,   1873




THIS   BUILDING   ON   SCHOOL   STREET   IS   THOUGHT   TO   HAVE   BEEN   BUILT   IN   1870   AS
A   DEPOT   BY   WELWOOD   AND   SCHLEIER   WHO   CREATED   "THE   CITY   OF   BRESLAU".
BY   DECEMBER   1870   IT   HAD   BEEN   MOVED   TO   SCHOOL   STREET.


"OLD   TIMERS"   HAVE   CALLED   THIS   THE   "FIRST   DEPOT   -   MOVED   TO
SCHOOL   ST.   FOR   USE   AS   SCHOOL   -   1870.   SCHOOL   HOUSE   UNTIL   1877."


FROM   THE   VILLAGE   OF   LINDENHURST   WEBSITE:
^---   click   here   ---^

".....Huntington farmers, who built a one-room schoolhouse on what is West Montauk
Highway, established our present public school system in 1841. In 1870 the German
settlers established another school on School Street. A new wooden school was built in 1876."

IT   IS   FURTHER   THOUGHT   THAT   THE   BUILDING   BECAME   A
(THE   FIRST)   FIREHOUSE   AND   LATER   A   PRIVATE   DWELLING.


"In 1877 the �Breslau Feuer Wehr� (Fire Protection) was formed. Four years later
the name was changed to the Breslau Engine Company, as it is still known today.
This same year, the �Union Hook & Ladder Company� was organized.
In 1884, the �Library Hose Company� was formed. By 1885, these three companies,
with a total of 44 men, combined and became known as the �Breslau Fire Department�


THE SCHOOL AND AN ENGINE HOUSE ARE SHOWN ON THIS 1888 MAP
 

FROM   THE   BROOKLYN   DAILY   EAGLE   FEBRUARY   23,   1881

THIS   DESCRIPTION   IS   NOT   HISTORICALLY   ACCURATE   BUT   DOES   EXPLAIN   THAT   THE
BRESLAU   &   FIRE   ISLAND   RAILROAD   WAS   ENVISIONED   BY   WELWOOD   AND   SCHLEIER.
 





THE CENTRAL RAILROAD OF LONG ISLAND HAD A BRESLAU STATION
LOCATED EAST OF WELLWOOD AVENUE - NOTE THE WIDTH OF PROPERTY
THE 66 FOOT ROW IS WIDENED TO 100 FEET.


THIS MAP FROM 1873 SHOWS BRESLAU STATION


IN   1891   BRESLAU   WAS   RENAMED   LINDENHURST
AND   THE   1868   DEPOT   WAS   PHOTOGRAPHED



THANKS   TO   DAVE   KELLER   FOR   THESE   1891   AND   1897   VIEWS
Photo courtesy of Ed Meinhold, Lindenhurst Historical
Society, 1901 Restored LIRR Depot Site Manager   VIA   DAVE   KELLER



Photo courtesy of Ed Meinhold, Lindenhurst Historical
Society, 1901 Restored LIRR Depot Site Manager



Photo courtesy of Ed Meinhold, Lindenhurst Historical
Society, 1901 Restored LIRR Depot Site Manager

LINDENHURST   STATION   IN   1897

THE   BAY   WINDOW   HAS   BEEN   EXTENDED   TO   THE   NORTH


VALUATION   PLAN   FROM   1916




ANOTHER   WONDERFUL   BOB   EMERY   MAP


IN  1901  THE  1868  DEPOT  BURNED  AND  THIS  STRUCTURE  WAS  ERECTED.



THIS   PHOTOGRAPH   APPARENTLY   SHOWS   THE   STATION
NEW   AS   THE   BAY   WINDOW   HAS   NOT   BEEN   COMPLETED




IN   THE   DISTANCE   THE   FREIGHT   HOUSE   CAN   BE   SEEN


THIS   PHOTOGRAPH   IS   1906   -   1907.     THE   D-16b   LOCOMOTIVE
IS   NEW,   THE   TRAIN   ORDER   SIGNAL   IS   STILL   THERE




THESE   TWO   PHOTOGRAPHS   ARE   CIRCA   1910.
THE   TRAIN   ORDER   SIGNAL   IS   GONE,   A   COVERED   EXPRESS   PLATFORM
HAS   BEEN   ADDED.   IN   THE   DISTANCE   THE   FREIGHT   HOUSE   CAN   BE   SEEN


 

THE   GRADE   CROSSING   IS   WELLWOOD   AVENUE


LOOKING   NORTH   ON   WELLWOOD   AVENUE   -   NEHRING'S   HOTEL   BUILDING   IS   TO   THE   LEFT


MANUAL   GATES   WERE   INSTALLED








 


LINDENHURST   STATION   1913  -  1917

ELECTRIC   LIGHTS   HAVE   REPLACED   THE   GAS   LAMPS   AND   THE   BAY
WINDOW   HAS   BEEN   EXTENDED   TO   THE   EAST   END   OF   THE   STRUCTURE


IN   THE   LATE   TWENTIES   J.  V.  OSBORNE   PHOTOGRAPHED   THE   STATION   FROM   THE   NORTHEAST




THE   COVERED   EXPRESS   PLATFORM   WAS   STILL   THERE


IN  THE  LATE  TWENTIES  THE  FREIGHT  SIDINGS  WERE  ELECTRIFIED


IN  THE  1930'S  OR  1940'S  THE  STATION  WAS  MOVED  EAST  AND  THE  FREIGHT   HOUSE   WAS
MOVED   WEST.   THEY   WERE   JOINED   AND   PLACED   ON   A   CONCRETE   FOUNDATION.   THE  BAY
WINDOW  WAS  APPARENTLY  REMOVED  AND  THE  ENTRANCE  CHANGED  TO  THE  WEST  WALL.


BOB   EMERY   PHOTOGRAPHED   THE   STATION   IN   1958


DAVE   KELLER   PHOTOGRAPHED   THE   STATION   IN   1966


DAVE   KELLER   PHOTOGRAPHED   THE   STATION   AGAIN   IN   1967


ART   PHOTOGRAPHED   THE   STATION   FROM   THE   TRAIN   IN   1968






Return   to   ----->   SOUTH   SIDE   RAIL   ROAD



return   to   ---->   HOME   PAGE