ARRT'S    ARRCHIVES





QUOGUE - ATLANTICVILLE

IN MAY 1870 QUOGUE STATION OPENED JUST WEST OF LEWIS ROAD
IT WAS MOST LIKELY ONLY A PLATFORM NORTH OF THE TRACK.
                                                           VINCENT SEYFRIED WROTE:


IN JUNE AND JULY 1875 QUOGUE WAS MOVED WEST AND ATLANTICVILLE STATION OPENED HERE.
PARCEL THREE WAS OBTAINED IN JULY 1875.   BILL SLADE PLACES THE STATION AT 77 MILES.



THIS IS A BRAINERD PHOTO WITH NO IDENTIFICATION.   WE BELIEVE IT IS ATLANTICVILLE.   IT SHOWS LEWIS ROAD CROSSING AND A FENCE ALONG THE OLD LINE OF MAIN COUNTRY ROAD WHICH HAD BEEN REROUTED AROUND THE STATION.

BROOKLYN   PUBLIC   LIBRARY

SEYFRIED STATES THAT A BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED AT LEWIS ROAD,   ORIGINAL SITE
OF QUOGUE STATION,   IN JUNE AND JULY 1875 AND STATION APPEARS IN SEPTEMBER TIMETABLE.

THIS IS OCTOBER 21 1875 WITH THANKS TO BOB RICKEY


OCTOBER 23 1876


1877



ATLANTICVILLE APPEARS ALSO IN 1877,   JULY 1880 AND JULY 1881 TIMETABLES.


JULY   1880


JULY   1881


A   JULY   6   1880   AD


THIS   1882  -   1884   MAP   SHOWS   ATLANTICVILLE   STATION


THE AUTHOR OF AN 1884 ARTICLE RODE A TRAIN TO
QUOGUE AND FROM THERE A STAGE TO ATLANTICVILLE.


THIS   LATER   MAP   SHOWS   QUOGUE   STATION   AND   ATLANTICVILLE   HAMLET


A   SEPTEMBER   11   1886   AD


IN   APRIL   1891   THE   POST   OFFICE   CHANGED   THE   NAME   OF   ATLANTICVILLE   TO   EAST   QUOGUE

AND QUOGUE WAS MOVED ONE AND ONE-FIFTH MILES TO THE WEST.   PARCELS TWELVE AND
FOURTEEN WERE OBTAINED IN MAY 1875.   BILL SLADE PLACES THE STATION AT 75.8 MILES.


GEORGE   BRADFORD   BRAINERD   1879   PHOTO   LOOKING   WEST

BROOKLYN   PUBLIC   LIBRARY

VARIOUS SOURCES HAVE SAID THAT QUOGUE STATION WAS STOLEN, MOVED, REMOVED,
KIDNAPPED, THROWN INTO THE WOODS AND OTHERWISE DISAPPEARED.   HERE'S THE STORY:

IN 1882 ATLANTICVILLE WAS CLOSED - QUOGUE STATION BUILDING WAS SURREPTITIOUSLY MOVED
SIX TENTHS OF A MILE EAST TO A LOCATION HALF WAY BETWEEN THE STATIONS.

A   MARCH   18   1882   BABYLON   SIGNAL   ARTICLE


A   MAY   27   1882   BABYLON   SIGNAL   ARTICLE


PARCELS THREE AND FIVE WERE OBTAINED IN APRIL 1882.
THIS IS THE 1905 STATION.   BILL SLADE PLACES THE STATION AT 76.4 MILES.


DAVE KELLER OFFERS HIS BELIEF THAT THE 1875 STATION,   MOVED HERE IN 1882,   WAS PLACED EAST OF THE GRADE
CROSSING TOWARD THE EAST END OF PARCEL FIVE AND CAN BE SEEN IN OSBORNE'S 1925 PHOTOGRAPH.   WE CONCUR


J. V. OSBORNE c 1925




ON JULY 29 1882 THE SIGNAL ANNOUNCED "MISS CARRIE A. FLETCHER WILL SHAPE THE
DESTINIES OF THE TICKET AND TELEGRAPH OFFICES AT QUOGUE FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD".

AS LATE AS SEPTEMBER 1897 PEOPLE IN ATLANTICVILLE WANTED THEIR STATION BACK.
BROOKLYN DALY EAGLE


THE 1905 BRICK STATION


APRIL   1952   PHOTO


return   to   HOME   PAGE